Windows 8 consumer preview installation problem

Question

• Hi, I just finished downloading the new windows 8 consumer preview of windows. I was planning to dual boot windows 7 and windows 8 so I created a partition. after doing that my 2 primary partition became a simple volume. When I run the installation of win 8, I cannot install it on the partition I just created. it says " Windows cannot install on this disk, one or two dynamic" blah blah i forgot the other line. sorry :)

BTW, I only have 1 hard disk because this is a laptop. 

before I created a new partition, this laptop has already 2 individual primary partition both of them have color blue, then after creating another partition for windows 8, the 2 of them become brown. (brown means simple volume.) 

I really wanted to try the new windows 8 consumer preview the problem is I cannot dual boot the two Os. please help. thanks :)

• Moved by Vincent Hu Monday, May 21, 2012 12:54 AM (From:Management)
    Saturday, May 19, 2012 3:02 AM

All replies

• I'd ask them here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8 

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, May 19, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Hi,

first of all you've to check all the requirements of windows 8...

in requirement list there is a note that it need at least 16 GB free space and min of 1GB RAM (if you wanna download 32bit) or 2GB RAM (if u wanna download 64bit)..

so make sure that your hard drive (partition that you made) has that much space to install win 8 correctly...

One another thing is that win 8 doesn't uses all your 16GB space..it uses just 4-6 GB (but still your hard drive partition compulsory has 16GB space which is highly required ) !!

Thursday, May 24, 2012 11:16 AM
  • Could you post back steps that you tried to install Windows 8?

What software did you use to convert ISO to MSE?

What download manager did you use to download windows 8?

Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:36 PM
  • Hello, thanks for replying.

Yes, I have at least 21GB of hard disk space for windows 8 to install. But my problem is it won't install on that partition i just made.

My Laptop full requirements:

2GB OF RAM

640gb hard disk space

Intel Core I3-2330M processor. (second generation)

Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit

Thursday, May 24, 2012 1:28 PM
  • I installed it via usb booting. Everytime I try to install it on a partition I just made. it says that "windows cannot install on this disk one or two dynamic volume etc.etc. that windows does not support."its a paraphrase of the real problem because I forgot the real error sign.

I used poweriso to make a bootable usb drive.

I downloaded windows 8 on internet download manager. 

Thursday, May 24, 2012 1:31 PM
  • For the benefit of others reading this thread, aside from booting from a USB device, the other good alternative is to just run Win 8 CP in a VM environment.  Either on Hyper-V, VMware, or VirtualBox.  This is much cleaner than trying to set up multi-boot systems which are very challenging to undo when you are finished with your evaluation.

Guides and tutorials, visit ITGeared.com.

itgeared.com facebook twitter youtube

Thursday, May 24, 2012 4:48 PM

• Did you try to burn the Win 8 CP ISO onto a DVD and boot to install from the latter? I have successfully installed Win 8 CP onto a single fixed "basic disk" residing on a machine with 2 existing partitions - 100 MB system PRI partition (bitlocker), 30 GB Windows 7 PRI and the rest for Win 8 CP PRI partition.

TechNet/MSDN Forum Moderator (Unified Communications) - http://www.leedesmond.com

Thursday, May 24, 2012 5:03 PM