none
Resource Loading using MS Project 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I am using the MS Project 2007 Standard. I would like to generate a graphical report of a resource load for a Group in a given Qtr.

The Resource Chart view is actually what i am looking for, but the hitch is that i can view the allocation for 1 resource at a time. I would like to view all resources within the same Group (e.g. All S/w resources under the S/w Group) in a single window. 

Is there any way that i can "modify" the Resource Graph view to see allocation of all the resources in a single view? 

thanks 

Robert

Robert Poddar
    • Edited by robertpoddar Monday, December 12, 2011 2:54 PM Grammatical errors
    Monday, December 12, 2011 2:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

After doing as explained before:

Drag the divider line between the upper and lower pane up.

Now go to Reports menu, Copy Picture. You can now create  a gif file with that view, and gif files can be inserted everywhere (in Word f.i.)

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by robertpoddar Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:16 AM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Robert,

http://www.mvps.org/project/faqs.htm

Look up Faq 38: combined resource graph

Greetings,

Monday, December 12, 2011 3:51 PM
  • Hi Messemaekar, 

Thanks a lot for the information. How can i generate a graphical report? I can see in the lower pane the graphs for 1 or more resources, but i need to present to my top management, the resource load for team for a given quarter, in a single graphical report. This is where i am getting stuck. 

thanks in advance for all the help!!.. 

thanks and regards, 

Robert.

Robert Poddar
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:21 AM
  • Hi Robert,

I don't quite understand because that is exactly what the faq explains, let's have a look:

To graph work for more than one resource:

Window/Split (note, in 2010 this is through the view ribbon, then click details)and click in the top pane to make sure it is the active pane and then View/ Resource Usage or Resource Sheet.   Now click in the lower pane, View/ Resource Graph.   Right-click the graph and select Bar Styles… and on the left side, change the Selected Resources bars from Don't Show to Area (or whatever you want), selecting Colour and Pattern to suit, for both Overallocated and Allocated resources.  On the right hand side you could also hide the individual resource by selecting Don’t Show in both Overallocated and Allocated resources.  Now click the OK button.

Now in the top pane, select two or more resources and the graph will also show a combined total.   The lower pane always shows information related to whatever is selected in the upper pane. So by formatting the Resource graph appropriately you can get it to show combined data for every selected resource in the upper pane.  With the Resource Usage view in the top pane, you can make adjustments in the usage view while viewing the allocation or overallocation below.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Frankly I don't know what more you might need. This is what you ask for.

Greetings,

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:02 PM
  • Hi Jan De  Messemaeker, 

My intention is to generate report, which i can share independent of the MS Project. If i follow the steps provided in the faq, i can view within the MS Project each resource or a group of resource in a single window; but i am unable extract that information into a separate file and provide the same to my top management.  

Hope this time i am able to convey.... 

thanks in advance for all the help.. 

Robert

Robert Poddar
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Hi,

After doing as explained before:

Drag the divider line between the upper and lower pane up.

Now go to Reports menu, Copy Picture. You can now create  a gif file with that view, and gif files can be inserted everywhere (in Word f.i.)

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by robertpoddar Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:16 AM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:21 PM