disable the "Use the blind and lowvision experience" checkbox in OWA + how to set it for a user as admin RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

I'm looking for a way to force the use of OWA premium.
    I've created an owa policy, and it's working correctly.

However, some users had enabled the accessibility option in OWA, which causes them to logon with the light version every time.

Apparently the policy doesn't override the fact that the user chose "Use the blind and lowvision experience" in the general tab (ecp).
    Since owa premium is forced now via policy, they can't logon to owa anymore.

I've been looking for a cmdlet/parameter with which I can change it as an administrator, but I can't find it.

Is there a way to :
    * hide the accessibility options in OWA
    * disable the "Use the blind and lowvision experience" as an administrator

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:09 PM

Answers

• I don't know of any way to reset the value for the affected users from the server end without accessing the mailbox somehow.  If they can't log into OWA (because your policy conflicts with their OWA setting), you can probably do it by opening the mailbox in EWS Editor (you'll need an account with permission to open all mailboxes, or get the user to come along and log in for you), and deleting the hidden message in the mailbox root that contains the OWA configuration information.

To hide the choice from the initial language selection page, it's probably possible to do it by editing the languageselection.aspx page on the server, although that means you will have a slightly non-standard installation. Let me know if you want to try it, and I'll see if I can work out what to do to it.

Mobile OWA For Smartphone
    www.leederbyshire.com
    email a@t leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m

• Marked as answer by dgoossens Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:09 AM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:05 PM

All replies

• I don't know of any way to reset the value for the affected users from the server end without accessing the mailbox somehow.  If they can't log into OWA (because your policy conflicts with their OWA setting), you can probably do it by opening the mailbox in EWS Editor (you'll need an account with permission to open all mailboxes, or get the user to come along and log in for you), and deleting the hidden message in the mailbox root that contains the OWA configuration information.

To hide the choice from the initial language selection page, it's probably possible to do it by editing the languageselection.aspx page on the server, although that means you will have a slightly non-standard installation. Let me know if you want to try it, and I'll see if I can work out what to do to it.

Mobile OWA For Smartphone
    www.leederbyshire.com
    email a@t leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m

• Marked as answer by dgoossens Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:09 AM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:05 PM
  • Thanks a lot Lee!
    It's the first time I heared about the EWS tool btw.

If it's not possible, it's no problem. At least I know now that I don't need to look any further for the cmdlet/parameter to switch it off again! :-)

Modifying the page won't really be good in our case, since the goal is to move the mailboxes towards Office365, and we can't modify any pages there.
    I was able to lock down the Office365 OWA via RBAC (same way as OnPrem), but since there's no parameter for the "blind and lowvision" to switch it off, I won't be able to hide it via RBAC either.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:09 AM