Critical Event 100 - System maintenance detected issues requiring your attention RRS feed

• Question

• On several Windows 7 computers I have checked, inlcuding newly-built ones, whenever the Windows Scheduled Maintenance Task runs, it generates Critical level Event 100 in the Diagnosis-Scheduled Operational log.  The text of this event is "System maintenance detected issues requiring your attention. A notification was sent to the Action Center".

However, the Action Center reports "No current issues detected", and all the settings that are listed in the Action Center are as expected (and are listed below).

What could be the issue that the Windows Scheduled Maintenance Task is detecting?

Thanks.

Network firewall  On

Windows Update On

Virus Protecton On

Spyware and unwanted software protection  On

Internet security settings OK

User Account Control  On

Network Access Protection  On

Check for solutions to problem reports  On

Backup  Backup succeeded

Check for Updates  No action needed

Troubleshooting: System Maintenance  No action needed

Monday, January 24, 2011 8:50 PM

Answers

• Update 2011-02-11: I have narrowed down the source of Event 100 to the running of TS_WERQueue.ps1, which is one of the PowerShell scripts that is run by the Scheduled Maintenance Task.  When this script is deleted or renamed the task runs without generating Event 100.

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Friday, February 11, 2011 9:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Magon Liu Monday, February 14, 2011 9:37 AM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 8:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Vegan Fanatic-

Thanks for your reply.  It's good to get an opinion that this event can be ignored.  Could you, or possibly someone else, explain why it is "simply a record of status".  That seems inconsistent with the event text - System maintenance detected issues requiring your attention. A notification was sent to the Action Center - neither assertion in the event text (detection of issues and notification being sent) seems true.  Also it seems inconsistent and misleading that a condition that is "simply a record of status" is assigned the highest event level, Critical.

• Edited by sejong Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:39 PM
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:40 PM
  • Thanks.   I appreciate your opinion.  I am unproposing your last post as answer though, since your suggestions remove the symptom of but don't address the cause of the event.  As I asked in my original post "What could be the issue that the Windows Scheduled Maintenance Task is detecting?"

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 5:27 PM
  • To go at this another way, are there other readers of this thread who have run the Windows Scheduled Maintenance Task manually or observered the results of its running automatically, without it generating an instance of Event 100?
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 10:42 PM
  • Thanks again for your quick reply.  Sorry if I am missing your point.

There are no messages in the Action Center that I do not want to see.  There are no problems on any computer I have seen Event 100 on.  My only question is why does the Windows Scheduled Maintenance Task generate Event 100 when the Action Center shows no issues?  I doubt something has changed the event logging since the behavior I have described is present on new out-of-box Windows 7 installations.

It's possible that this occurrence of Event 100 is a "known issue".  Here is an example from a different issue I raised in another thread.  (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/0860a35e-614f-4f6c-ab05-5ef93e56cdf7). 

My first post: Whenever I have restored a system image, Event 41 (The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first) appears in the System log on the first restart after the restore completes. Is this behavior to be expected?  If not, can it be avoided?

Answer from SriramB [MSFT]: Event 41 appearing after restoring a system image is a known issue (not covered by one of the scenarios listed in the KB). The system image restore is basically reverting the machine from a backup taken when the system is still online. As part of system image restore we are not clearing the state that kernel uses to identify if a dirty shutdown happened. The system image restore however is complete. The event 41 you are seeing is spurious/false alarm. It can be ignored. We will try to address this issue in future release.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 11:21 PM
  • Actually I only referred to the other thread as an example of an Event that a Microsoft employee confirmed to be a "known issue".
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 11:29 PM
  • Update 2011-01-28: In Event Viewer, I enabled the Analytic and Debug logs.  Whenever the Windows Scheduled Maintenance Task runs, it generates Event 301 in the Diagnosis-Scripted Debug log.  The text of this event is "The scripted diagnostic engine has encountered an error in function Settings::get_PackageId, line 191: 0x80004003".  Error code 0x80004003 is Invalid Pointer.  The timestamp of this event is 3 seconds before the timestamp of Critical Event 100 that is the subject of this thread.

Maybe someone who knows more that I do can interpret this.

Thanks.

• Edited by sejong Friday, January 28, 2011 10:15 PM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 8:56 PM
  • Thanks, but I was referring to error 0x80004003, and event 301.

Friday, January 28, 2011 10:14 PM
  • Update 2011-02-11: I have narrowed down the source of Event 100 to the running of TS_WERQueue.ps1, which is one of the PowerShell scripts that is run by the Scheduled Maintenance Task.  When this script is deleted or renamed the task runs without generating Event 100.

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Friday, February 11, 2011 9:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Magon Liu Monday, February 14, 2011 9:37 AM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 8:42 PM
  • @Andre.Ziegler - thanks for proposing my last post as answer.  Perhaps someone knowledgeable about PowerShell scripts can have a look at TS_WERQueue.ps1 for anything that would incorrectly throw an exception that would generate Event 100.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 11:02 PM
  • the script has something to do with the Windows Error Reporting service. But I'm no PS expert, sorry.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Friday, February 11, 2011 11:59 PM
  • I don't see how you can actually claim any of these as an answer.  All of your responses are very vague and if you

are not as familiar with WHC or Power Shell then I guess your SOL.  I think it pertains to the problem not being

reported. Windows would consider this Critical. What I don't understand is why it just doesn't say that.  Instead

you have to jump through hoops and try to get an answer out of BIG Headed Programmers such as yourself whom thinks he/she is so smart and funny that they don't mind taking credit for answering a question when clearly

they did not even come close and as a matter of fact didn't even put much effort into the conversation at all and when you did come up with something it is only because the questioner did the work and led you to your end

conclusion. Originally you passed it off to another Forum and still took credit for it.  You might appear like you

answer questions because of your points but I think you have given yourself those points by marking the Q as A

yourself as you did in this case even though the Q'er said he w/drew the proposed A because you really didn't address the original Q.  

ALSO WOULD YOU PLEASE REMOVE YOUR PROGRAMMER COFFEE QUOTE IT IS OLD AND IT WASN'T CUTE OR FUNNY THE FIRST TIME AND NOW IT IS JUST CONCIETED.  If moms got paid they would make twice what you

do. The research has been done and the salary posted.

N. Deanne Smith

Monday, October 7, 2013 11:53 AM