none
Create a bootable DVD that contains a clone image RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to create a bootable DVD that contains an image of Windows Embedded 7 (to include all protected file and folders). I tried Imagex but the tool excludes all the protected files and folders when I attempt to capture a WIM file which initially causes boot manager issues and issues with the Fbwf management tool. I need the image to be installed to the destination device in the same working configuration as the source device.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 1:39 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the replies. Our team did figure out how to make the installation DVD work installing just the base, non-syspre'd image of Windows Embedded Standard 7 unto the CF Card. Our trick was to add three bcdedit commands into the apply_image.bat to resolve the boot manage issues. And to resolve the problem with fbwfmgr. We built a bat script to run after the DVD installation. This is a closed issue.
    • Marked as answer by tekknj Friday, March 23, 2018 7:58 PM
    Friday, March 23, 2018 7:58 PM

All replies

• Hopefully, you have syspreped the image.  Imagex and WIM files capture partitions. Capturing the whole disk image is a better approach. There is Clonezilla, which I wrote up some instructions here: http://annabooks.com/Articles/Articles_WE8S/Clonezilla-WE_Rev1.3.pdf, and there is Acronis TrueImage and Ghost. Even though I wrote about Clonezilla, I find TrueImage to be faster.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 5:49 AM
  • TRY  Acronis TrueImage ..better u could clone the HDD

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 5:52 AM
  • Hi,

Very sorry, the following comment (italic part) is incorrect.
    Please refer to this article: WinPE: Create a Boot CD, DVD, ISO, or VHD
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/winpe-create-a-boot-cd-dvd-iso-or-vhd

I'm afraid it is not possible.

This is my guess: We can create a DVD that contains an image of Windows, but can not create a bootable DVD that contains an image of Windows.
    While and after booting Windows, it writes various information in the OS-installed device (usually it is internal HDD/SSD). But this cannot be done in a DVD media, so we cannot create a bootable DVD.
    If Windows Embedded 7 can write these information in other devices than DVD, creating a bootable DVD of Win. Embedded 7 may be possible.

Regards,

Ashidacchi >> http://hokusosha.com/

P.S.
    We can create a bootable external USB storage (flash memory, HDD, SSD) that contains Windows by using WinToUSB.

• Edited by Ashidacchi Tuesday, March 6, 2018 9:05 AM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 8:28 AM
  • Not possible. That's what I thought. I have a very unique setup and I've tried different approaches to make this happen. You see, I have this external device which uses a CF card as the HDD. Windows Embedded is installed to the card (chip). As I mentioned, I need an exact byte-for-byte clone of the image on the chip. Then I can deploy the same working configuration to other external devices on other chips.

The chip can not be sysprep'd because the sysprep routine initiates my disc hardening process (security). I don't want that to occur until after other application have be installed.

Currently, I can use my cloning device (ZClone Xi) to make clones and deploy from there. I was hoping that I could get away from the device to make clones and do it by an installation process from a DVD.

• Edited by tekknj Tuesday, March 6, 2018 2:10 PM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 2:09 PM
  • If you are going to copy the image, then sysprep is a highly recommended. A straight copy might result in an unstable image. 

Have you looked into the sysprep unattended file to help do any post setups on each clone i.e. s\pass 7 sync commands?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 4:15 PM
  • Thanks for the replies. Our team did figure out how to make the installation DVD work installing just the base, non-syspre'd image of Windows Embedded Standard 7 unto the CF Card. Our trick was to add three bcdedit commands into the apply_image.bat to resolve the boot manage issues. And to resolve the problem with fbwfmgr. We built a bat script to run after the DVD installation. This is a closed issue.
    • Marked as answer by tekknj Friday, March 23, 2018 7:58 PM
    Friday, March 23, 2018 7:58 PM