VFS mapping for apps upgraded from 4.2 to 4.6sp1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When we open a debug file for an OSD in 4.2, in the console if we give "c:", this will be redirected to "c:\program files\[InstallDir]" where InstallDir is the installation directory of the virtual application. When i upgrade a 4.2 app on 4.6sp1, this mapping is not working properly. I am sure there are architectural changes from 4.2 to 4.5 and 4.5 to 4.6. Please let me know why this mapping is failing.

Also, how feasible it is if we upgrade a 4.2 app to 4.6SP1?

Thank you very much!!

Friday, June 24, 2011 2:29 PM

Answers

• If you get "Directory is invalid" or weird errors (as you descibe) related to VFS folders, I'm afraid that your package's VFS configuration might have gotten corrupted. There is a known issue with 4.6 (and SP1) which corrupts VFS mappings in package branching, but it sounds like you might be getting similiar effects now with normal upgrade.

Even if Sequencer shows VFS mappings as-is, looking the package with AVE will show if any folders under VFS subdirectory shows as having VFS mappings so you should check it out with that. If no mappings are displayed for folders, then the upgrade in Sequencer has mangled your package..

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, July 4, 2011 7:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Monday, July 11, 2011 9:17 AM
    Monday, July 4, 2011 7:12 PM

All replies

• Hello,

How are you upgrading a package?

Any package created with 4.2 should work with 4.6 most of the time - see this FAQ for general questions though;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/appvirtualization/cc664494

/Znack
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 11:41 AM
  • Hi Znack,

I am trying to open the existing sequence[4.2] on a 4.6SP1 sequencer and modifying the package. When i launch the shortcut, i see "Directory is invalid" error. For this i have changed the Filename reference to the Q: drive terms[Q:\8.3\CSIDL_PROG_FILES\xxx.exe]. This time the shortcut is launching, but when we create a debug file and verify the contents, from Q it is populating all the files and folders in the mountpoint. If we enter C: in the debug window, and look for the program files equivalents, there is an error promping that drive is not found or needs a format.

This reference VFS behavior in debug window on 4.2 will populate the entire contents of the Q drive in their original format, I mean in the form of "C:\Program Files\[INSTALLDIR]". This is what i am worried about if we have to modify any existing sequences to the latest 4.6 SP1 to make is work successfully. Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Sivatej.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 3:01 PM
  • Hello,

are you performing an active upgrade or a packet branch?
    /Znack
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 5:02 PM
  • Hi

This is an active upgrade.

Sivatej.

Monday, June 27, 2011 8:03 AM
  • If you get "Directory is invalid" or weird errors (as you descibe) related to VFS folders, I'm afraid that your package's VFS configuration might have gotten corrupted. There is a known issue with 4.6 (and SP1) which corrupts VFS mappings in package branching, but it sounds like you might be getting similiar effects now with normal upgrade.

Even if Sequencer shows VFS mappings as-is, looking the package with AVE will show if any folders under VFS subdirectory shows as having VFS mappings so you should check it out with that. If no mappings are displayed for folders, then the upgrade in Sequencer has mangled your package..

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, July 4, 2011 7:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Monday, July 11, 2011 9:17 AM
    Monday, July 4, 2011 7:12 PM