none
Merge Mini PWA instance with Large Corporate RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone-

I am working for one customer who has two separate PWA instance 

I1 : Corporate instance with huge customization and largely used.

I2: Mini instance with 200 projects and handful of users and almost no customization.

My requirement would be merging the mini instance (I2 ) with the large instance (I1) without harming or disturbing anything in I1 as I1 is in currently running and with heavy use. and I2 users will use I1 after the merge.

Please suggest the best practice for merging I2 with I1 with the below

1. all DBs including Content DB

2. All server settings.

3. All projects.

4. All users/resources ()though its just handful

5. If I have missed anything that should be taken care while merging.

Thanks by advance for your great response and help.

Thanks

Deb

Dev EPM Consultant

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 1:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can not append I2 DB on I1 DB and as per my knowledge we don't have any tool available in the market which can do this work for us.

The only way which i can suggest you is

1. Create all the user of I2 onto I1. Also same for Resources 

2. create all the Custom field, Views and Calendar  of I2 onto I1 if some are matching then only create the distinct one .

3. Save All the project one by one with actuals from I2 and create new project onto I1 with same name. once you will do it you will have project site for all the project. Upload all the document on respective sites.

4. Create reports if any onto I1 which are available on l2. deploy custom solution on I1 which are currently on I2 but not on I1

http://www.projectserverblog.com/2011/04/merging-2-instances-of-project-server.html

kirtesh

• Edited by Kirteshtiw Wednesday, February 5, 2014 2:10 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Kirteshtiw Monday, February 10, 2014 12:52 PM
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 2:07 PM
  • Thanks!

But is it possible to use playboook exe tool. I can take a backup of my mini environment and restore in the large environment. Will it override all the customisation for the big environment or just will get merged. if there is any duplicate then it should override. such as: all the unique custom fields will be created and replicated but any common custom field will be overridden.

PLease correct me if I am wrong!

Dev EPM Consultant

Thursday, February 6, 2014 6:40 PM
  • Yes you can use it but be careful as it is prod Environment. When you will use plaebook tool you will get two problem Merge and Replace you can use merge which will add custom field view and other server setting form I2 to I1.

See the link for better explanation 

kirtesh

Thursday, February 6, 2014 6:45 PM
  • Hi

if you do not want to do it manually, you could use FluentBooks and ProjectMigrator from Fluentpro (http://www.fluentpro.com/products.html).

Fluentbooks is similar, but much more powerful that the playbooks tool. You can choose, which fields and lookup tables you want to copy for example.

Kind regards

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCTS, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Saturday, February 8, 2014 4:00 PM