Intune Windows Licenses - Pricing for perpetual license offer RRS feed

• Question

• Through the Intune service, it is possible to upgrade to a newer version of Windows than was previously installed on a managed device. The license for such an upgraded version of Windows is (in Intune documentation) described as a DSL (a device subscription license). The DSL for an upgraded version of Windows is only valid for as long as the Intune service is in effect. So if the Intune service is cancelled, then the upgraded version of Windows will no longer be licensed. However, in the "Windows Intune Purchase and Support Guide" pdf document, on page 11, a "buyout option" is described, through which it is possible to convert a Windows DSL (device subscription license) into a perpetual license which can be retained after the cancellation of the Intune service.

What is the pricing for this "perpetual license offer"? For example what would be the cost (in US$) under the "perpetual license offer" for converting a "Windows 8 Enterprise" DSL into a perpetual license for Windows 8 Enterprise (at the point of termination of the Intune service)? Where in the Microsoft website is such "perpetual license offer" pricing information contained?

Thank you in advance for your help with this question.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Louis,

As I suspected, there isn't any discounted pricing for any of the scenarios.  It's a flat price to buy out your Windows License and the pricing they provided you is correct.

Thanks,

Jon L. - MSFT

Thursday, November 1, 2012 12:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Louis,

Please call non-technical support to get the pricing for buying out your Windows License.  If they cannot help please let me know.

https://support.live.com/default.aspx?productkey=mocpintunehome&brand=mocp&scrx=1

Thanks,

Jon L. - MSFT

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 5:09 PM
  • Hi Jon,

Thank you for your reply. I followed your advice and called non-technical support. I spoke to one individual who was not aware of the buyout option, I was put on hold and a few minutes later the line dropped (from their end). So I called again and I spoke to another individual who again was not aware of the buyout option, who told me they would call me back after asking their supervisor. They did not call me back.

At this stage, it is fair to say that non-technical support cannot help.. Could you please kindly assist?

Thank you for your help so far,

Louis

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 6:19 AM
  • Hi Louis,

I'm working with my teams here and we'll get the information for you.  I'll try to respond back later today.

Thank you,

Jon L. - MSFT

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:02 PM
  • Hi Louis,

Can you provide me the Service Request # you got when you called support?  I'm going to work with our team here and we'll get the information for you.

Thanks,

Jon L. - MSFT

Friday, October 26, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Hi Jon,

When I called support on the phone, I was not given a Service Request number (nor have I received, still, the promised callback).

Yesterday, however, I decided to contact support in writing and I did get a response with Service Request # 1186387534

Regretfully, the response I got did not answer my question, so I replied back to let support know. Hopefully you can see all this under the ticket number I provided.

Thanks again for taking the time to look into this issue.

Best regards,

Louis

Friday, October 26, 2012 5:06 PM
  • Hi Louis,

So I spoke to our teams here and the information that they sent you in the last email was the correct pricing.

There is no discounted pricing for buyout of Windows licenses if you decide to discontinue your Windows Intune service.  It's an option to keep your license for the OS you are currently using, not a discounted path to purchase Windows 7/8, etc.

I hope that answers your question.

Thanks,

Jon L. -MSFT

Friday, October 26, 2012 6:15 PM
  • Hi Jon,

Thank you for confirming that the information I was sent in the last email was the correct pricing. For the benefit of anyone else reading this thread, I am copying - in bold italics - the information I got from support (please see further below).

The price I was quoted, of "199 USD/288.41AUD and Disk price is 20USD/28.99AUD" , is it specific to the case of a device which had a perpetual license of "Windows 7 Professional", then was upgraded to an (Intune based) DSL license of "Windows 8 Enterprise" and now needs to be converted into a perpetual license?

Or is this "199 USD/288.41AUD and Disk price is 20USD/28.99AUD" the price in general for converting any (Intune-based) DSL license into a perpetual license, regardless of what is the upgraded (DSL licensed) version of Windows (Win 7/8, Professional/Enterprise), and regardless of what was the original (perpetually licensed) version of Windows (Win XP/7/8, Professional/Enterprise) before the (Intune-based) upgrade?

So (as an example) the following two devices, A) one device which had a perpetual license of "Windows XP Professional", then was upgraded to an (Intune based) DSL license of "Windows 8 Enterprise", and B) a second device which had a perpetual license of "Windows 8 Professional", then was upgraded to an (Intune based) DSL license of "Windows 8 Enterprise" , do they both incur the same buyout price of "199 USD/288.41AUD and Disk price is 20USD/28.99AUD" in order to be converted into a perpetual license?

Thanks again for your time,

Louis

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Services. My name is Elli and I'm glad to be of assistance. We have assigned Service Request ID 1186387534 to your issue.

I understand that you want to know the price for perpetual license of windows7/8 under Windows Intune. It's my pleasure to assist you; however this issue has beyond my support boundary and knowledge to answer the entire question to you. Since we are online service support team, you have already cancelled the online subscription. I have tried my best to find relative resource for your reference.

The license price is 199 USD/288.41AUD and Disk price is 20USD/28.99AUD. But I'm not sure if there is any change for the price. If you want to know more about the price and details please goes to website(AU):

At this point Elli included the URL for Microsoft support, unfortunately the forum software here does not allow me to include URLs in my posts yet...

Or call AU local hotline 132058 to enquire, please tell them that you have already cancelled Window Intune service or they will direct you to us again.

We hope we have addressed your enquiry to your satisfaction and we appreciate the time you have taken to write to us.

I do apologies for the inconvenience and thank you so much for your understanding."

Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:06 AM
  • Hi Louis,

Thank you for explaining that further.  I've reached out to the right people and we'll get the information for you soon.

Thanks,

Jon L. - MSFT

Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:15 PM
  • Hi Louis,

As I suspected, there isn't any discounted pricing for any of the scenarios.  It's a flat price to buy out your Windows License and the pricing they provided you is correct.

Thanks,

Jon L. - MSFT

Thursday, November 1, 2012 12:10 AM