What are the SQL Server File, FileGroup Discovery Rules RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

What are the SQL Server File and File Group Discovery Rules for the following SQL Servers?

SQL Server 2008

SQL Server 2012

SQL Server 2014

SQL Server 2016

SQL Server 2017

We are disabling the File and File Group monitoring as explained in the following article by Kevin Holman and use simple SQL monitoring "DB Total Space" and "Transaction Log Free Space (%)". We are implementing this since we have SQL severs with more than 50 DBs running and Microsoft recommends that we should monitor not more than 50 databases and 150 database
    files per SCOM Agent.

https://kevinholman.com/2016/04/03/how-sql-database-free-space-monitoring-works-in-the-sql-management-pack/?unapproved=5114&moderation-hash=3990ec094ffeabff1917223b78d4db7f#comment-5114

We have disabled the Data File and DB Filegoup discoveries and ran the command Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance to delete the objects from SCOM DB. But the FileGroups are still showing in the FileGroup Views under Monitoring Pane.

Discoveries we have disabled:

MSSQL on Windows: Discover SQL Server DB Files
    MSSQL on Windows: Discover SQL Server DB Filegroups
    Discover Files
    Discover Filegroups
    Discover Files
    Discover Filegroups
    MSSQL 2014: Discover Data Files
    MSSQL 2014: Discover Filegroups
    MSSQL 2016: Discover Data Files
    MSSQL 2016: Discover Filegroups

So the question is what are the exact SQL Server File, FileGroup Discovery Rules to be disabled for DB File anf FileGroups to be removed from SQL Discovery.

Thanks,

Sreejeet

Thursday, July 30, 2020 9:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Sreejeet,

From your description, I know the FileGroup is still been discovered. Please check if all the related object discovery is disabled. The following picture for the reference:

Hope it can help.

Best regards.

Crystal

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 31, 2020 3:45 AM
  • Hi Crystal,

Thank you for your reply. I will check and update you.

Regards,

Sreejeet

Friday, July 31, 2020 6:16 AM
  • Hi Sreejeet,

Thanks for the reply. We will wait for your update. if there's anything we can help, feel free to let us know.

Best regards.

Crystal

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 3, 2020 2:46 AM
  • Hi Crystal,

I started checkin with SQL Server 2014 discoveries, so to check and fix the discovery issue for one SQL Server Version at a time.

I have checked and found the folowing discoveries are disabled for the entire class.

But while checking the Filegroup state view I still see the Filegroups.

Note: I ran the command Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance and it completed successfully.

Do we need to disable any other SQL Server 2014 Discovery for the FileGroups to be removed from the State views?

Thanks,

Sreejeet

Monday, August 3, 2020 9:12 AM
  • Hi Sreejeet,

For other SQL version, is there any discovery with filegroup enabled? If not. please try to disable any other SQL server 2014 Discovery to see if the result will be different. And we also suggest to schedule a non-business time to restart the SCOM sever and the SQL server that holds the OperationsManager database.

Hope it can help.

Best regards.

Crystal

Tuesday, August 4, 2020 2:44 AM