none
Cannot Provision Kiosk Mode in WICD

Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to set up Windows 10 Education 1703 x64 as a kiosk. I've created a provisioning package in WICD to configure Windows during install, and eventually install Google Chrome. The problem is that Chrome does not get installed, and autologin does not occur. Where/how are the install files for Chrome added to the package? I select the MSI file for Chrome, and enter the silent install command (which works fine), but it doesn't happen. Looking at the advanced view for the package in WICD, the path to the Chrome MSI file is relative to my own desktop, and would not be accurate for a fresh install of Windows 10. So, how does it work? Chrome has to be in the package because the package's size is a few KB above what Chrome's size is. I also set Windows to autologin to a local user, which is created during the Windows install, but it doesn't happen. Is there a GOOD tutorial on how to do this? The WICD built-in help is useless, and the Microsoft online tutorials are not much better. None of them go over application installs. It would be great if the provisioning package can be set to grab the Chrome MSI from the online source, instead of packaging it internally.

Thanks

Jason

• Edited by N74JW Thursday, April 27, 2017 12:52 AM
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 12:49 AM

All replies

• Hi N74JW,

According to my experience, the installation of Chrome could be a little different. It need to be installed online. If it is possible, please try to test with another application to troubleshoot whether the issue is related to the specific application.

As a work around, we could refer to the following link to configure Kiosk mode manually. Install the Chrome manually then change the application in the script to Chrome.

Shell Launcher
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/windows/hardware/commercialize/customize/enterprise/shell-launcher?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 2:07 AM
  • I'll give this a try. Thanks!

Jason

Thursday, April 27, 2017 1:12 PM