what is the switch to kill pop up windows on an install RRS feed

• Question

• I understand that rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n "\\servername\printername is the command to add a printer. but how can I stop the boxes that pop up asking me if I want to install the drivers? hope I am clear on my question.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:48 PM

Answers

• 1. add a "/q" for quiet mode to avoid that popup

2. Did you try my suggestions at all with dpinst or contacting the vendor for silent install switches?  Depending on how you were given these drivers there can be various methods as no two vendors follow the same standard.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

• Marked as answer by Oz_Cast Friday, February 8, 2013 4:32 PM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 4:03 PM

All replies

• It depends what your drivers are packed in.  If it's a couple of files including an inf then you can use "dpinst.exe".  If your drivers are in executable format then either unpack the drivers from the executable or contact the vendor for a silent switch to deploy the executable.

Friday, February 8, 2013 12:19 AM
  • ok first: item is if I run rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /dn /n "\\servername\printername to remove a printer and that particular printer is not there.. I get a pop up window that says "Printer connection cannot be removed. Double check the printer name and make sure that the printer is connected to the network" well that is fine but is there a way to make that pop up window go away?

Second Item: all my drivers are installed on the actual Print Server most of the Printers get installed with the exception for a couple of them. I was told to use /y to say "yes" to continue with that install and the pop up window should go away but that is not the case.

any other sugestions?

Friday, February 8, 2013 3:13 PM
  • 1. add a "/q" for quiet mode to avoid that popup

2. Did you try my suggestions at all with dpinst or contacting the vendor for silent install switches?  Depending on how you were given these drivers there can be various methods as no two vendors follow the same standard.

• Marked as answer by Oz_Cast Friday, February 8, 2013 4:32 PM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 4:03 PM
  • I Knew that this was the correct switch but I could not figure out why it hadn't worked... now I found out why.. Thank you so much sir... I appreciated... now.. my second issue still hunting me down.. but thank you for the assistance.

Friday, February 8, 2013 4:44 PM