none
Using custom task fields in resource usage RRS feed

• Question

• Thanks in advance for any insights you can offer.

I am using Project Standard 2010.  I have created a custom field as a "Task" field and a "Text" type.  This field is populated with data as I create tasks in the Gantt Chart.

When I open the "Resource Usage" view the system displays the list of task names associated with each resource.  My problem is that several of the tasks have subtasks called "Design" or "Code Review", for example.  In the "Resource Usage" view the system displays several rows called "Design" or "Code Review" and I have no idea which major task it is associated with.

Finally my question.  Can I (how can I) display the value of the custom field that I created on the "Resource Usage" screen so I can more easily associate common task names with the actual task name?

Saturday, August 16, 2014 5:06 PM

Answers

• BStreet60,

First of all what you see in the Resource Usage view are resources and assignments, not resources and tasks. It's a subtle distinction but an important one.

With regard to multiple assignment line with the entry "Design" or "Code Review", try adding the Task Summary Name field as a column in the Resource Usage view.

For your last question, here is where the subtle difference I mentioned above comes into play. Go to the MVP website at, http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm, and take a look at FAQ 51 - Data types: Task, Resource and Assignment. That FAQ will also reference FAQ 37 - Custom fields in views

If this answers your question please mark as the answer. If not, how else my we help you?

John

• Proposed as answer by Ismet Kocaman Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by BStreet60 Tuesday, August 19, 2014 1:14 AM
    Saturday, August 16, 2014 7:32 PM