SEFAUTIL won't work until after the first time a user logs in? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to set up Lync users to emulate hunt groups. My plan was to create a user, enable them for Lync, and use sefautil to set up delegates and forwarding for them. The actual user would never really need to log in to Lync, as their delegates or no-answer forwarding would catch all of the calls.

It seems that sefautil can't change the forwarding for a user until after the first time the user logs in. I even tried updating the address book, but that didn't work.

Is there any reason why sefautil won't work until after a user's first logon?

Friday, December 14, 2012 10:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• Check whether this issue happen with other new Lync enabled users.

Test this issue with Lync mature users to check whether sefautil work fine.

Check whether you can get the current call handling settings by the command, for example,

SEFAUtil.exe /server:lyncserver.contoso.com xxx @contoso.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, December 17, 2012 7:42 AM
  • sefautil will work even if the user never logged on. Actually I do it all the time over here in the company. sefautil does have a nasty thing that if you want call forward immediately then you need to use the /server switch in your command. At lease that is in my experience that all the command work without the server switch but not the immediately forward.
    If you input all the commands that you need to do what you want, what does sefautil do, does it confirm that the setting has been made or not?
    If not, then you most likely are doing it incorrect. If it stated that it has been changed something else is going on.
    Monday, December 17, 2012 12:47 PM
  • The forwarding does not work until after the first login (from our experience) even when using the /server switch.

+Say thanks and observe basic forum courtesy:
    +If this post answered your question, Mark As Answer
    +If this post was helpful, Vote as Helpful

windowspbx blog: my thots/howtos
    see/submit Lync suggestions here: simple and public

• Proposed as answer by Lisa.zheng Wednesday, January 2, 2013 9:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lisa.zheng Thursday, January 3, 2013 2:02 AM
    Monday, December 17, 2012 1:49 PM
  • And that is why I don't like to work with sefautil, it has a mind of its own :S

Monday, December 17, 2012 1:52 PM
  • SEFAUTIL recognizes a larger item that would be useful in Lync: ability to centrally manage user settings of endpoints/client. For example: if the the admin wants to change all LPE dispalys to high contrast, there is not a central, or even remote way to do it. Basically admins should have the ability to change endpoint user settings on behalf of user. It would be nice to have this in lync.

http://lync.ideascale.com/a/dtd/centrally-configure-endpoint-client-user-settings/361372-16285?submitted=1

Monday, December 17, 2012 2:05 PM
  • If I just get the forwarding on a user, sefautil will output the information about the user. If I try to change it, there is no output.

If I logon with the account, either through the client or a phone with PIN authentication, I can then use the exact same sefautil command string, and it will produce output.

Monday, December 17, 2012 4:44 PM
  • Maybe I wasn't clear above. To change the forwarding settings for a lync user, that user needs to log into Lync 1 time and then SEFAUTIL works to change forwarding settings. But you do need to log in 1 time with the user first.

• Proposed as answer by Lisa.zheng Wednesday, January 2, 2013 9:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lisa.zheng Thursday, January 3, 2013 2:02 AM
    Monday, December 17, 2012 7:10 PM