KMS Server - Under 20 Clients RRS feed

• Question

• I am thinking of implementing a KMS server for our environment. Previously, just using the OEM keys was fine, but the last batch of laptops has changed that. The problem is that initially, I will only have 20 clients connecting to the KMS, and the documentation says there has to be 25 in order to activate.

Can that threshhold be changed?
    What happens to the clients if the KMS cannot activate them? Will they enter RF mode or just complain about being unactivated?

Any help is appreciated.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 3:46 PM

Answers

• Hello Kyle,
    For Windows Vista the number of KMS clients( KMS clients are either Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista machines running volume license media, we count both so if you have 5 Windows Server 2008 machines in addition to the 20 Windows VIsta machines you would have enough KMS clients) required to be able to use KMS is 25.  There is no way to change reduce this number.
    Since the KMS clients will not activate, they will go into RFM mode if they are not running SP1, of they are running SP1 they will go into notification mode.

You should use MAK keys instead of KMS keys for your Volume License agreement.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by Kyle Kartan Saturday, April 18, 2009 1:04 PM
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 12:40 AM

All replies

• Hello Kyle,
    For Windows Vista the number of KMS clients( KMS clients are either Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista machines running volume license media, we count both so if you have 5 Windows Server 2008 machines in addition to the 20 Windows VIsta machines you would have enough KMS clients) required to be able to use KMS is 25.  There is no way to change reduce this number.
    Since the KMS clients will not activate, they will go into RFM mode if they are not running SP1, of they are running SP1 they will go into notification mode.

You should use MAK keys instead of KMS keys for your Volume License agreement.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by Kyle Kartan Saturday, April 18, 2009 1:04 PM
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 12:40 AM
  • Thanks for the reply (the notification went to the wrong email)

I didn't really want to use MAK keys and use up the activations since these all had oem licenses anyway. I ended up just reinstalling a computer over and over again to drive up the activation count. Once it hit 25, everything was fine.

I had run into major issues with the disks that hp gave me doing a regular activation (I don't want to call activation 20 times and speak to a rep 20 times).

Oh well, it's working now!

Saturday, April 18, 2009 1:04 PM
  • Kyle,

I know this post is very old, but on the off chance you may check it...  Did this approach work for you for an extended period of time (past 180 days)?

Thank you!

Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:03 PM