IIS on DMZ or Port Forwarding Only? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new Server 2008 Web Server and its going to be  used for the front of a SQL Database. Should I put the web server as just port forwarding from the router/firewall or should I put it in the DMZ for internet access? The SQL Server will definitely remain off a DMZ and is not port fowarding to.

Of the two choices what would be the best recommendation?

Thank you!
    Alex

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Alex,

Thanks for posting here.

It’s depend.

you should analyze your requirements so that you can balance necessary security against performance/usability.

Generally speak,  Port forwarding solution is more easily to implement and lowering cost ,DMZ solution is provides good security and performance but needs more cost.

If you had deployed DMZ in your environment , my personal opinion is that  the latter one is recommended.

Please take time to read the article below:

Firewalls

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700820.aspx#XSLTsection130121120120

Thanks.

Tiger Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 3:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Alex,

Thanks for posting here.

It’s depend.

you should analyze your requirements so that you can balance necessary security against performance/usability.

Generally speak,  Port forwarding solution is more easily to implement and lowering cost ,DMZ solution is provides good security and performance but needs more cost.

If you had deployed DMZ in your environment , my personal opinion is that  the latter one is recommended.

Please take time to read the article below:

Firewalls

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700820.aspx#XSLTsection130121120120

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 3:22 AM
  • Hi Alex,

If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

We are looking forward to your reply.

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Friday, October 22, 2010 5:24 AM