Tableof contents-roman numeral page numeber issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello , I am currently working on my dissertation and is facing some issues with the table of content. My pages are numbered using roman numerals and all my headings are required to be in all caps. When I set the table and edit the TOC levels it looks like this:

HEADING1...........................................................VI

I need (requirements dictate that) only the words to be all caps but not the page number:

HEADING1...........................................................vi

Is this possible? I have tried to find an answer online but no luck.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 3:00 PM

Answers

• It is not possible to have the text and the page number have a different style.

However, if the headings, in the document, are to be ALL CAPS you can get this effect by using direct formatting rather than the heading style to create the ALL CAPS HEADINGS. That direct formatting will be carried into the TOC.

By using direct formatting, I mean that you are not using an ALL CAPS formatting as part of the heading style. Instead, the style should call for Upper and lower case text. Then you either type the heading holding down the shift key or the Caps Lock key set for on. If the heading is already typed, once the heading style is set to not be All Caps, select it and press the Shift+F3 shortcut to toggle through to all capitals.

This answer assumes that you are using lower-case Roman numeral page numbers. I did not try it with upper case page numbers in the document.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

• Proposed as answer by Stefan BlomMVP Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:30 PM
    • Edited by Charles Kenyon Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:46 PM clarify direct formatting
    • Marked as answer by waswass Thursday, October 9, 2014 5:56 AM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:15 PM

All replies

• It is not possible to have the text and the page number have a different style.

However, if the headings, in the document, are to be ALL CAPS you can get this effect by using direct formatting rather than the heading style to create the ALL CAPS HEADINGS. That direct formatting will be carried into the TOC.

By using direct formatting, I mean that you are not using an ALL CAPS formatting as part of the heading style. Instead, the style should call for Upper and lower case text. Then you either type the heading holding down the shift key or the Caps Lock key set for on. If the heading is already typed, once the heading style is set to not be All Caps, select it and press the Shift+F3 shortcut to toggle through to all capitals.

This answer assumes that you are using lower-case Roman numeral page numbers. I did not try it with upper case page numbers in the document.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

• Proposed as answer by Stefan BlomMVP Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:30 PM
    • Edited by Charles Kenyon Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:46 PM clarify direct formatting
    • Marked as answer by waswass Thursday, October 9, 2014 5:56 AM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:15 PM
  • Hello waswass,

If this is a one-time fix you can do an advanced search-and-replace when your document is finished.

If you find this interesting, reply and I'll give some hints how to do that.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:23 PM
  • Thank you so much. That worked

• Edited by waswass Thursday, October 9, 2014 5:55 AM
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 5:55 AM