CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'. RRS feed

• Question

• I 'd created a database "abc" in sql server express. 

Plss help me its urgent! yesterday i have got details of an online server it's password ,user name and id,now i am trying to create database

abc on this new server but every time i type command to create database an error displays saying "CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'."...???.. I tried a lot to resolve it but fail pls help  

Friday, November 25, 2011 9:01 AM

Answers

• Hi

Means your database administrator has not given you  the sufficient permission. Speak to your DBA to give you the appropriate permission or ask him to create the database for you

VT  

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    • Marked as answer by vineetagarg Friday, November 25, 2011 10:23 AM
    Friday, November 25, 2011 9:54 AM

All replies

• It simply tells you, that you have not the permissions to create a new database. You can only access existing ones on that "online" server.

See the permissions section of the CREATE DATABASE statement:

Requires CREATE DATABASE, CREATE ANY DATABASE, or ALTER ANY DATABASE permission.

Friday, November 25, 2011 9:05 AM
  • Hi Vineet,

Just to add On : please check are you a member of sysadmin or dbcreator roles . If  not then please add your account to the dbcreator or sysadmin role and try running the query again ..

-----------------
    Thanks ,Suhas V

Friday, November 25, 2011 9:26 AM
  • @suhas how i can add pls tell me??
    Friday, November 25, 2011 9:29 AM
  • hi
    EXEC master..sp_addsrvrolemember @loginame = N'YourAccName', @rolename = N'dbcreator'
    GO

VT

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Friday, November 25, 2011 9:31 AM
  • EXEC

master..sp_addsrvrolemember @loginame = N'Loginname', @rolename = N'dbcreator'
    GO
    EXEC
    master..sp_addsrvrolemember @loginame = N'Loginname', @rolename = N'sysadmin'
    GO

Friday, November 25, 2011 9:39 AM
  • if i execute this command with widows authentication on my local server it is executing,but still same error is coming!on creation of new database on online server
    if I execute this command on online server i got following error...:(
    Msg 15247, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_addsrvrolemember, Line 29
    User does not have permission to perform this action.....
    ...........will I ever be able to create my data base??
    Friday, November 25, 2011 9:42 AM
  • You dont have permissons to execute the sql statement . Please contact the administrator of the box to provide your account DB creator permissons.

-------------------------

Thanks,Suhas V

• Hi

Means your database administrator has not given you  the sufficient permission. Speak to your DBA to give you the appropriate permission or ask him to create the database for you

VT  

• Marked as answer by vineetagarg Friday, November 25, 2011 10:23 AM
  • ok...i will do that!
    Friday, November 25, 2011 10:23 AM