none
Resource pool MS Project 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm new to project and have been teaching myself until my course in January, having previously used P6 im struggling with some of the features.

I have set up a new resource pool for roles rather than named resources. 

Here's my problem, i have 8 mechanical engineers (800%), 6 fabricators (600%) etc. When i assign a mechanical engineer to a job which requires over 100% the resource pool doesn't use the full availability of the mech engineers it just comes up over allocated - when i add the resource in the resource column should i be marking it mech eng (200%)?

I'm confused as to why project doesn't automatically use up more of the 800% availability.

Please help :)

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 8:09 AM

Answers

• Hi Kathhee,

Firstly, welcome to the world of MSProject, which is different to P6, and therefore the same principles may not apply.

To show that you have 8 mech eng for your role, set the MAX units in the resource sheet to 800%, and then assign the resource.  this tells project that you have 64 available hours capacity per day for this resource role.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Kathhee,

Firstly, welcome to the world of MSProject, which is different to P6, and therefore the same principles may not apply.

To show that you have 8 mech eng for your role, set the MAX units in the resource sheet to 800%, and then assign the resource.  this tells project that you have 64 available hours capacity per day for this resource role.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:06 AM
  • Thankyou so much i have a feeling i will be on here alot in the new few months :).
    Wednesday, December 17, 2014 12:19 PM
  • Kathhee,

You are welcome, but i would suggest augmenting posts in this forum with a good book or two, or a course!

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 12:44 PM