Internet Explorer locked out RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Vista. Something happened last week and now I can't get IE to work.

My Emails works OK, MS Updates work OK, I can ping external web sites OK but when I try to go on any web site it gives me either "Can't display this page" or "invalid address". I've tried unloading IE and loading IE8, but that did not work, then upgrading to IE9 but still the same problem. I even tried Firefox but that does not connect either. I can't even get to the Router.

I've checked for viruses etc and there is nothing. The only Firewall I've got is the standard MS one. I've tried turning that off but still no joy.

There is obviously some setting that is blocking all "Internet Explorer" connectivity but I don't know what it is.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

home or company network?

company network questions should be addressed to the Help desk or system administrators...

Start>Control Panel>Programs and Features... sort by "Installed on" will list what software was installed recently (excluding modem firmware)

Start>Control Panel>Networking and Sharing center has network diagnostic tools.

"invalid address" - you may need to do a dns flush.

also (a guess)

go here http://dcwg.org/ to test if it has been infected with the dnschanger rootkit infection

other: try a tracert to the web addresses you can't reach.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:18 PM
  • Thanks for that. It's a home network.

I tried the

Start>Control Panel>Networking and Sharing center has network diagnostic tools.

and it shows that the network is fully connected to the outside world. As I said I can ping just about anything. For example bbc.co.uk &  "192.168.2.1" [the router]" and I get good returns.

I also did the DNS flush. No effect, even after reboot

When I start Internet Explorer (home page is bbc.co.uk) I get "internet Explorer cannot display this page", FireFox "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server....". Put the IP of the router in there and I get the very same result.

I've checked for Proxy's (none) the IP address it has is set to is "obtain automatically" (as is the DNS). Click "Diagnose"  and it somes back with "Windows did not find any problem.."

I can even get Microsoft Updates. I just can't get anything out of IE or Firefox

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:39 PM