Pending Management RRS feed

• Question

• I have the followings:

Type: Agent Required Updates (77)

Error:

Summary

Remotely Opening the Service Control Manager on the target computer failed.

Causes

This can be caused when:

The account that is being used to connect to the remote computer does not have the right permissions and is being denied access.

There is a problem with the Service Controller Manager.

There is a firewall or IPSec policy between the Management Server and the target computer where you are attempting to install an agent.

If there is a firewall or IPSec the ports required to communicate to the Service Controller Manager may be blocked. These ports are 135 and 137 through 139.

Resolutions

Check the account used to install the agent has the right permissions on the remote computer. This account may be the default action account or it may be the account supplied in the discovery wizard.

Ensure there is no firewall or the appropriate firewall and/or IPSec policy exceptions are in place on the target computer. Additionally, check the System Event Log on the target computer to ensure there are no errors from the Service Controller Manager.

Type: Failed Agents Installation (74)

Error:

Summary

Causes

This can be caused when:

The account that is being used to connect to the remote computer does not have the right permissions and is being denied access.

There is a problem with the Service Controller Manager.

There is a firewall or IPSec policy between the Management Server and the target computer where you are attempting to install an agent.

If there is a firewall or IPSec the ports required to communicate to the Service Controller Manager may be blocked. These ports are 135 and 137 through 139.

Resolutions

Check the account used to install the agent has the right permissions on the remote computer. This account may be the default action account or it may be the account supplied in the discovery wizard.

Ensure there is no firewall or the appropriate firewall and/or IPSec policy exceptions are in place on the target computer. Additionally, check the System Event Log on the target computer to ensure there are no errors from the Service Controller Manager.

Type: Installation in Progress (315)

Error:

The installation of this agent is still in progress. If a computer remains in this state for an extended period of time, reject the computer from this view and retry discovery and agent installation.

Monday, September 15, 2008 2:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Deep,

The Management Server uses the Server Message Block (SMB) port (TCP/UDP 445) and the RPC port (TCP 135) to deliver the files needed for Agent installation on remote computers and for updating Agent settings after installation.

Discovery-based deployment cannot be used to install Agents if these ports are not be enabled or firewall enabled between Server and clients.

Please check whether windows firewall on client computer has been enabled.

Is there any other Firewall has been enabled in your network, such as ISA? If yes, ensure the related ports have been enabled.

Then please run "RSOP.MSC" from a command prompt to see whether the client computer has applied the domain policy which was created during the installation of SCE.

More infromation for your reference:

How to Configure an ISA Server 2004 Firewall on Small Business Server for System Center Essentials
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb422892.aspx

Agent fails to install on ISA 2006 Std
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2378309&SiteID=17&pageid=0

Thanks,
    Friday, September 19, 2008 10:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Deep,

Did you have the problem that the SCE agents cannot be installed? What is your network environment? Have you tried the resolution that given in the message?

1. What is the Action Account did you use? We suggest the Domain Administrator. If you must use a Domain User, make sure it is in the local administrators group in every single managed computer.

2. Ensure there is no firewall or the appropriate firewall exceptions are in place on the target computer.

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 8:12 AM
  • Yes I am not able to install agent onto these computers. My network environment is windows 2000 prof and XP prof.

I tried reject and install agian.

I used domain Administrator account.

Under failed agent installation I get the following:

The Management Server failed to perform an operation on a remote computer.

The remote agent installation failed to complete.

The agent installer service failed to start after installation.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 4:09 PM
  •  

aside : I was under the impression that Domain Admin accounts should not be used to install agents?

i have the same problem btw. not urgent but I'm curious as to what a solution might be. I'll keep digging...

Friday, September 19, 2008 10:03 AM
  • Hi Deep,

The Management Server uses the Server Message Block (SMB) port (TCP/UDP 445) and the RPC port (TCP 135) to deliver the files needed for Agent installation on remote computers and for updating Agent settings after installation.

Discovery-based deployment cannot be used to install Agents if these ports are not be enabled or firewall enabled between Server and clients.

Please check whether windows firewall on client computer has been enabled.

Is there any other Firewall has been enabled in your network, such as ISA? If yes, ensure the related ports have been enabled.

Then please run "RSOP.MSC" from a command prompt to see whether the client computer has applied the domain policy which was created during the installation of SCE.

More infromation for your reference:

How to Configure an ISA Server 2004 Firewall on Small Business Server for System Center Essentials
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb422892.aspx

Agent fails to install on ISA 2006 Std
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2378309&SiteID=17&pageid=0

Thanks,
    Friday, September 19, 2008 10:56 AM