none
Domain trust with the same subnet

Question

• Hi all,

I have two domains (let's say dom_a and dom_b) with different subnet (let's say subnet_a and subnet_b) there is a two way trust between theese domains, all it is working as expected.

Now I've to physically move the servers ofthe dom_b to the physical site where dom_a is, client of the domain_b remains where they actually are.

So I've to renumber the servers (servers of dom_b) that I move, I've to use the same subnet of the dom_a so at the end of the process, servers of bot domains will be all on the subnet_a.

Are there any issue with the trust between theese domains?

Friday, February 21, 2014 9:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Andrea,

Yes you can run multiple domains in the same physical network with the same IP addressing scheme. There wont be any issues, except the use of DHCP in your network. If you are using DHCP, clients in other domains can get ip address and DNS information for the other domain which they dont belong to.

So i would suggest to have proper IP addressing assignment, like you can configure static IP addressing for one domain and dynamic for other. Because the clients need exact and proper DNS server information for their domain.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/29758c0e-2a8e-4674-9c38-d59688cdd4a3/multiple-active-directory-domains-in-one-ip-network?forum=winserverDS

Regards,
    Rafic

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote.
    If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Friday, February 21, 2014 10:26 AM

All replies

• You only have to use not the same IPs for the server located in subnet_a.

Kind regards,

Tim
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA
    http://directoryadmin.blogspot.com

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

"If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Friday, February 21, 2014 10:01 AM
  • Hi Andrea,

Yes you can run multiple domains in the same physical network with the same IP addressing scheme. There wont be any issues, except the use of DHCP in your network. If you are using DHCP, clients in other domains can get ip address and DNS information for the other domain which they dont belong to.

So i would suggest to have proper IP addressing assignment, like you can configure static IP addressing for one domain and dynamic for other. Because the clients need exact and proper DNS server information for their domain.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/29758c0e-2a8e-4674-9c38-d59688cdd4a3/multiple-active-directory-domains-in-one-ip-network?forum=winserverDS

Regards,
    Rafic

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote.
    If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Friday, February 21, 2014 10:26 AM