Performance issue using Service Manager self service portal RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a fresh install of Service Manager with the self help portal installed on the same box (DW & databases sit on other boxes) and am seeing really poor load times from the self help portal. It seems that after the inital load the site is acceptably responsive (until I restart IE). Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Sam.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 3:58 PM

Answers

• Sam

We have made perf improvements to the portal since our Beta2 release. If you are seeing hte page load times slow only the first time then that is because ASP.Net is compiling the application after first use.   

Paresh
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 8:23 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,
    If it takes more time after restart of IE it sounds like a cache problem, that you before that cache the portal so it is fast to browse after first time and until restart. We have placed the self service portal on its own machine to get optimal performance, think it is also recommended in the design guide.
    Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://www.contoso.se
    Monday, December 7, 2009 6:20 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Are the certificate your using a real one or a fake? If it's real, is the place where it checks if the certificate has been revoked accessible, like pki.domainname.com? Otherwise you have to wait for it to timeout before it lets you continue. Second, are you accessing the SSP from the webserver itself or from another client? If its from the webserver itself, have you turned of enhanced internet security and added the site to local intranet?

Regards
    //Anders
    Monday, December 7, 2009 8:22 PM
  • Hi,

I have the SSP running on it's own machine (SSP, Service Manager & Data Warehouse are all VMware Virtual Machines 4 x CPU 8GB RAM) with a self-signed certificate.

I'm accessing the SSP from a desktop client and I've also bound TCP 80 to the SCSMPortal site in IIS but it still loads slowly.

Thanks in advance,

Sam.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 11:58 AM
  • Have you tested this outside VMWare?

Guests with 4 vCPU's are prone to performance issues due to the cpu schduling Vmware uses
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 10:45 PM
  • No activity on this thread for two weeks.  Please unmark the post above as the answer if you still need assistance with this issue.
    Travis Wright Senior Program Manager Lead Microsoft
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:08 AM
  • I've reinstalled using all physical kit using the latest RC build and am still having the same problems. I can see from the IIS logs an approx. 30 second wait after the intial authenticated http GET from the client, however the logs go silent while the application/database is working.

Thanks in advance.

Sam.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 3:09 PM
  • Sam

We have made perf improvements to the portal since our Beta2 release. If you are seeing hte page load times slow only the first time then that is because ASP.Net is compiling the application after first use.   

Paresh
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 8:23 PM
    Answerer
  • We have SP1 installed, and the first load of the portal is slow like a dead snail.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 8:14 AM
  • Hi

Have you tried to replace our self-signed certificate with a trusted certificate ? When running with self-signed certificate the portal is slow, changing in to a trusted certificat make portal faster.

Jon

• Proposed as answer by Jon R. Berg Friday, February 11, 2011 11:37 AM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 11:04 AM
  • It has got a certificate coming from the Enterprise CA.

The developer said its slow because it is based on web parts, and this technology is slow like this...

Friday, February 11, 2011 2:53 PM