How to interpret cannot bind parameter 'LdapServerConnection'. Cannot covert the "foo" value of type "System.String" RRS feed

• Question

• I executed Add-AdfsLocalClaimsProviderTrust cmdlet in order to add LDAP (OUD) to AD FS farm however I was asked to enter a value for LdapServerConnection[index] parameter. I wasn't sure what to provide for ldap server connection string. I made a best guess. Since I access OUD with following connection string:

Host: foo

Port: 1389

username: cn=Directory Manager

password: xxxxxxxx

When the executed program asked me one parameter after another with index position start at 0 such as

LdapServerConnection[0]: foo

LdapServerConnection[1]: 1389

LdapServerConnection[2]: cn=Directory Manager

LdapServerConnection[3]: <password>

LdapServerConnection[4]:

UserObjectClass: inetOrgPerson

userContainer: ou=people,o=foo.company,c=us

AnchorClaimLadpAttribute: mail

AnchorClaimType: "http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2005/05/identity/claims/upn"

Then it threw following exception:

Add-AdfsLocalClaimsProviderTrust : Cannot bind parameter 'LdapServerConnection'. Cannot convert the "foo " value of type
    "System.String" to type "Microsoft.IdentityServer.Management.Resources.LdapServerConnection".
    At line:1 char:1
    + Add-AdfsLocalClaimsProviderTrust -Name "foo" -Identifier "ur ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Add-AdfsLocalClaimsProviderTrust], ParameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgumentNoMessage,Microsoft.IdentityServer.Management.Commands.AddLocalClaimsProviderTrustComman

========================================

I am not sure how to interpret this exception and handle it. I was referring to this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-fs/operations/configure-ad-fs-to-authenticate-users-stored-in-ldap-directories

I would greatly appreciate your advice and feedback on this question. Ty!

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 12:46 AM