none
Copying from Network drive to HP LTO-6 Ultrium 6250 Tape Drive: Windows 8.1 Error 0x8007003A - The specified server cannot complete the operation. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys, I've been racking my brain trying to solve this problem for months, with no posted internet solutions working.

Problem: Attempting to copy files from a mounted network server to an HP Ultrium 6250 tape drive results in Windows security errors and prevents copying from working. It appears to be a mix of internet security settings or permissions related, and nothing changed has worked yet.

Running Windows 8.1, and the drive has simply been mounted via map network drive as the IP of the server \\192.x.x.x with appropriate credentials. The system is able to work with files in every other regard, copy and paste locally, etc. Trying to do the same through the tape drive is the only related "Security error" we've encountered.

This is what happens:

Windows Security

"These files might be harmful to your computer.

Your internet security settings suggest that one or more files might be harmful to your computer. Would you like to continue?"

Clicking OK results in a second warning dialog:

"An unexpected error is preventing you from copying the file. 

0x8007003A: The specified server cannot complete the operation."

Try Again, Skip or Cancel

Clicking anything but cancel will continuously pop the same dialog up for every single file. It starts with .DS_Store files, as some directories were created via OSX, but this shouldn't be a problem in theory. The server is OSX Server running on Yosemite, connections are mostly done via SMB.

After the dialogs, I am unable to proceed. This happens with any file attempted from the server to the HP Ultra 6500 Tape Drive.

Any suggestions or definitive solution would be helpful, as it's been a huge problem for backup and we're running low on space.

Thanks in advance

• Edited by KB-ian Thursday, October 1, 2015 3:26 PM added server info
    Thursday, October 1, 2015 3:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for delay.

For your question, I want to confirm whether you get this alert when copy .ds_store file.
    Do you copy file from OS X to Windows? .DS_Store files are invisible files used to manage folder-specific settings, the permissions of the .DS_Store files are likely preventing you from overwriting, or copying them to the external.

If so, please try to skip it and continue copy process.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 1:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For your question, it might be caused by the IE security setting. Please try below step to add server IP address to trust zone:
    1. Open IE, and Internet Options.
    2. Click Security tab, switch to Local Intranet.
    3. Click Sites button, click Advanced button.
    4. Enter the IP Address of the other machine or server (wildcards are allowed) and click Add
    5. Click Close, then OK, then OK again.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang

Friday, October 2, 2015 5:37 AM
  • Hi Allen,

Thanks for the reply. This was something I had previously tried, and it didn't seem to work. I will attempt it again this afternoon when in the office. 

Quick question: what would the appropriate IP format be? For example, we're mapping the drive through the share in this method \\192.168.x.x\SHARE - would the appropriate entry be just the IP alone? Simply: 192.168.x.x Or would it be smart to allow anything within that subnet to work via wildcard? 192.168.* or 192.168.*.*?

Edit, tried it out... security warning is removed but the second error still occurs and copying is not possible. Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/o64fudq.png

• Edited by KB-ian Friday, October 2, 2015 4:14 PM
    Friday, October 2, 2015 3:10 PM
  • Anybody else have thoughts on this?
    Friday, October 9, 2015 2:09 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for delay.

For your question, I want to confirm whether you get this alert when copy .ds_store file.
    Do you copy file from OS X to Windows? .DS_Store files are invisible files used to manage folder-specific settings, the permissions of the .DS_Store files are likely preventing you from overwriting, or copying them to the external.

If so, please try to skip it and continue copy process.

Allen Wang

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 1:49 AM