Exchange 2010 MP Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Background Info: Running SCOM 2007 R2 w/ CU3.  All agents upgraded to CU3 agents.  Running Exchange 2010 SP1 w/ Rollup 1, built on Windows Server 2008 R2.

The issue I am having is that two of my Exchange Servers, specifically my CAS/HUB servers, are not showing up under Microsoft Exchange Server\Exchange 2010.  It appears that these servers are being discovered just fine as I can see them in Discovered Inventory.  Exchange Discovery also seems to be taking place because these servers can be identified as CAS and HUB when I change the Target Type in Discovered Inventory.  When I navigate to Monitoring --> Microsoft Exchange Server --> Exchange 2010 --> Server State, the two servers are nowhere to be found.  Both Client Access --> State and Hub Transport --> State are vacant.  My mailbox servers are showing up completely fine.

Originally I had 3 CAS/HUB/MBX servers in the environment.  All servers/server roles were completely fine in SCOM & Exchange MP.  I was able to monitor all server roles and all of them showed up under Exchange 2010 under Monitoring.  Recently I spun up two new servers and made them CAS/HUB servers and removed the CAS/HUB roles from the old servers.  These two new servers are the ones that are not showing up under Exchange 2010 even though they have been discovered in SCOM and are viewable in Discovered Inventory as having CAS and HUB roles.  The OS and patches are identical between the old and new servers.

When I go into Health Explorer for one of the new CAS/HUB servers I can see that SCOM is checking all of the Client Access Components.  The vast majority of these Availability checks are reporting normal activity. 

I have tried flushing cache, rebooting Exchange Servers, restarting System Center Management service on the Exchange Servers, rebooting Gateway and RMS and nothing has worked.

Does anyone have any idea why these two servers are not showing up under Exchange 2010 within SCOM?

Please let me know if you need any other information to help troubleshoot this.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 4:27 PM

Answers

• Minor point - discoveries are enabled automatically in the Exchange 2010 MP, there should be nothing you need to do there.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    • Marked as answer by Dan Rogers Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:00 AM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:58 AM

All replies

• If you have not read the MP guide for the Exchange Mp (deep read please) then this is where you should start.  The Exchange 2010 MP is a departure from earlier versions of the MP.  Instead of automatically discovering and monitoring everything possible, in this MP you have to enable each type of server role independently via overrides.  You also have to download the MSI version of the managment pack, and not use the OM console import feature (which is always a poor practice, but makes a great demo).  The reason is that additional software needs to be installed on the RMS to make the management pack work, and that software is only downloadable via the MSI from the management pack web catalog at http://pinpoint.microsoft.com/systemcenter

Microsoft Corporation
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 4:43 PM
  • 1.  I read the documentation before deploying the Exchange 2010 MP.

2.  I downloaded the MP and documentation from this here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=7150bfed-64a4-42a4-97a2-07048cca5d23&displaylang=en).  This is what I used to install the MP on the RMS.

3.  Could you elaborate on "Instead of automatically discovering and monitoring everything possible, in this MP you have to enable each type of server role independently via overrides"?  I am pretty sure I've enabled all things CAS/HUB related but perhaps I missed something.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:24 PM
  • If you have enabled discoveries, and made sure the related agents have proxy enabled (agent managed view, click agent, right click, select properties, click security tab, enable agent proxy) then discoveries should be happening.  This is a pre-requisite for monitoring.

Do you know if your topology is being discovered?  Or are discoveries failing?

Microsoft Corporation
    • Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, January 17, 2011 4:11 AM
    Friday, January 14, 2011 1:11 AM
  • Dan, you say "if you have enabled discoveries", where do you do this?  i thought they were enabled by default?
    Stew
    Friday, January 14, 2011 5:58 AM
  •  

Hi,

You can check if the Discoveries are working on this agent referring to the following post:

What Monitors, Rules and Discoveries are running on an OpsMgr Agent?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/stefan_stranger/archive/2010/11/30/what-monitors-rules-and-discoveries-are-running-on-an-opsmgr-agent.aspx

Regarding the Discoveries of the Exchange 2010 MP, please refer to:

Objects the Management Pack Discovers

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee758051(EXCHG.140).aspx

Meanwhile, please check the Event Log on both the server and agents sides; if there are any related errors, please also let us know in detail.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:11 AM
  • Minor point - discoveries are enabled automatically in the Exchange 2010 MP, there should be nothing you need to do there.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    • Marked as answer by Dan Rogers Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:00 AM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:58 AM
  • yeah got it working in the end, restarted the health service on the boxes and also ran the new-testcasconnectivity script.
    Stew
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:00 AM
  • yeah got it working in the end, restarted the health service on the boxes and also ran the new-testcasconnectivity script.
    Stew
    I have added two new exchange 2010 mailbox servers but SCOM exchange 2010 not disovering newly added exchange servers. I have enbaled agent as a proxy agent. Kindly Update me.
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 6:11 AM
  • how long has it been after you installed the agents? some times it can take up to 24 hours after the agent is installed for all objects to be discovered in a managment pack.

Scott Moss MVP (Operations Manager) | President - System Center Virtual Users Group | Vice President - Atlanta Southeast Management Users Group (ATL SMUG) Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you!
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 5:24 PM