locked
IE 8 and Proclarity desktop pro 6.3 RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a user in our environment who is getting an error when he tries to launch proclarity professional from our intranet link.  The new window for proclarity pro opens up, and immediately an error message appears stating "Unable to run ProClarity Professional. Either the required components are not installed or you don't have permission to download them."  In the background of this error message, I can see that IE8 is prompting the user with the following message. "This website wants to run the following add-on: 'PProClarityCtrl5.ocx' from 'Microsoft Corporation'. If you trust the website and the add-on and want to allow it to run, click here..."  This is slightly humorous as the error message pop up that I describe above is modal, so you cannot reach the IE8 ocx prompt in order to allow the control to run, and i'm assuming that the control not being allowed to run is what is causing the initial "required component not installed" error.  Any suggestions? 

    Here is what I've tried thus far
    1) making the user a local administrator
    2) uninstalling and re-installing Proclarity Web Professional 6.3
    3) followed all recommendations from the following link http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/proclarity/thread/c4c02ef1-88eb-41c0-b773-7ec5c4600887
    4) followed all recommendations from the following link http://www.lehmkuhl.za.net/blog/post/2008/07/11/Unable-to-run-Proclarity-Web-Professional.aspx

    additional information:
    i found a link within the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\ProClarity\Client\Proclarity.html
    and was able to launch the link successfully which did put me into the web professional interface without problem.  once there I could browse to our BI server and pull up any cube that I wanted.  So it seems that the ocx file is there and does work, but not when launched from the http://<our server name>/pas/en/src/Proclarity.asp site
    • Edited by Bomberjester Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:54 PM added another fix attempt
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:48 PM

Answers

  • So I ended up answering my own problem here and wanted to share the solution.  It looks like this particular end user monkeyed (yes that's the technical term for it) with his intranet security settings for IE 8.  I ended up resetting the security for both internet and intranet to default levels, and then lowered the intranet security slider bar to medium-low.  Once that was done, the user was good to go.  I'm suggesting to our IS group that a global policy be set locking down internet explorer security values.
    • Marked as answer by Bomberjester Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:02 PM
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:02 PM