Polycom CX600 loses Microsoft Exchange Connection when Employees Change their Domain Password RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are using Microsoft Lync 2010 and the problem is that when a user updates their network password, the Polycom CX600 gives an error message saying it cant connect to the exchange server for Calendar and Call logs because the network credentials are incorrect.  All of our users have the Polycom CX600 USB cable plugged into their machines.  The only way I have found around this is to factory wipe the phone and reset it up using the USB authentication and reenter their password, we can't continue down this way though.  There has to be a better way to handle it or something else is going on.

Will Lync Prompt them to change their Network Password ever?  I would have thought the domain password would pass to the phone automatically. 

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:29 PM

Answers

• Using domain.com\username is not a requirement; this format will often work in some networks with DNS and/or WINS resolution issues.

The behavior the OP is seeing is be design.  When the cached AD credentials expire or are invalid the phone still uses the issued client certificate to perform TLS-DSK authentication to the Lync Server, but further authentication to Exchange will fail.  The Lync Phone Edition client is not programmed to re-prompt for credentials, even if it remains tethered via USB to a PC. You will simply receive the warning message on the menu button reporting that Exchange Integration is not working.

The user will need to manually sign-out of the device and sign back in (using USB tethering of course) to reconnect to the Exchange Server.  A soft (or hard) reset should not be required to restore Exchange connectivity.  If this is happening make sure that the devices are running the latest firmware release as this issue has been addressed in a previous Cumulative Update.

Jeff Schertz | Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP

• Marked as answer by pslager Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:00 PM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 12:08 PM

All replies

• The domain password does not pass to the phone automatically but it should also not require a factory reset. I would expect the phone to prompt for the new password in the same manner as when you first connect the phone to the PC. Are your users never getting prompted?
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:09 PM
  • I would expect the same prompt, I havent seen this live but a few users have already experienced it.  When I ask them they dont remember :)

I am guessing they put the username in wrong because by default it shows domain\username and it has to have domain.com\username for it to work.  However, if they enter it in wrong they should get a message saying it was entered incorrectly. 

I will have to test it with a user and see what happens. 
    • Edited by pslager Wednesday, October 31, 2012 7:59 PM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 7:59 PM
  • Any update?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 11:40 AM
  • Using domain.com\username is not a requirement; this format will often work in some networks with DNS and/or WINS resolution issues.

The behavior the OP is seeing is be design.  When the cached AD credentials expire or are invalid the phone still uses the issued client certificate to perform TLS-DSK authentication to the Lync Server, but further authentication to Exchange will fail.  The Lync Phone Edition client is not programmed to re-prompt for credentials, even if it remains tethered via USB to a PC. You will simply receive the warning message on the menu button reporting that Exchange Integration is not working.

The user will need to manually sign-out of the device and sign back in (using USB tethering of course) to reconnect to the Exchange Server.  A soft (or hard) reset should not be required to restore Exchange connectivity.  If this is happening make sure that the devices are running the latest firmware release as this issue has been addressed in a previous Cumulative Update.

Jeff Schertz | Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP

• Marked as answer by pslager Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:00 PM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 12:08 PM
  • Thanks Jeff,

Any news on this being changed in Lync 2013?  This is incredibly annoying even with instructions users will just call support each time their password changes which is every 90 days for us.  This doesn't seem like a well thought out design. 

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:02 PM
  • We are seeing the exact same issue.  Very annoying to the employees, helpdesk and management.  Can't seem to get any real movement on this.  The latest firmware update did fix flickering screens and enabled music on hold, but did not resolve the account login issue that this thread speaks about.  The latest firmware also locked out all of the users when the update was applied, creating more calls to the helpdesk.

We really need help with this, as management is considering scraping Lync and moving to Avaya.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:25 PM
  • Agreed, we are trying to train users but they easily forget.  Seems silly to have it designed this way. 

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:41 PM
  • Jeff and gang, I'm having this issue today with Lync 2013 server side updated to CU2, Exchange 2010 SP3, Win 7 Pro, Lync 2013 client, CX600 with the .4387 firmware loaded (lastest as of today that I'm aware of).  I followed the reset procedure mentioned, which is also listed here: http://kb.iu.edu/data/bbsl.html but with no change to my CX600, still no calendar.  This worries me b/c I would like to setup a conference room such that when people enter the conference room, and that room is scheduled to host a Lync meeting (which is the user logged into the conf phone), the "room" already has the same meeting on its calendar and can simply join meeting instead of having to dial the conferencing phone number and entering the conference code.  Any suggestions on other troubleshooting methods?  I could wipe the phone, but it is suggested that even rebooting isn't needed, only signing out.  thanks so much.
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 4:56 PM
  • Oh, I felt I should mention I have an iPhone with Lync 2013 installed and on 3G cell service the client sees my meeting list perfectly.  My Lync 2013 client on Win7 Pro also sees the calendar perfectly (it uses that new meeting tab we all got with the last "security" update to the client). thanks, David
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:00 PM