Win 7 Access Denied RRS feed

• Question

• Situation: 

One hard drive with two partitions. Partitions labels are drives "C" and "D".

Partition "C" has the following system:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
    System Model Dimension 4600C
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2660 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A09, 8/26/2004

Partition "D" has the following system:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
    Other OS Description  Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name ROBERT-122431
    System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
    System Model Dimension 4600C
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz, 2660 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A09, 8/26/2004

Two Iomega External USB Hard Drives. External Drives are labeled drives "F" and "G". "F" contains all my data (documents, pictures, videos, music, etc.). "G" is used as a backup for "F" using Microsoft Sync Toy 2.1 to synchronize the drives by moving data from "F" to "G". Both external hard drives are used similarly by both OS.

Problem:

Win 7 on partition "D" has recently begun to deny access to some (not all) of the 7,000+ pictures on "F". The pictures are there but any attempt to view some of them (perhaps 25%) is blocked with the error message "...you don't have the correct permissions to access the file location." As far as I have been able to determine, only pictures are affected and not other documents, with the images being predominantly in the TIF and JPG formats.

What I have done:

Googled "win 7 access denied documents folder" and viewed the following answer (dated Oct. 2009):

"Welcome to Microsoft Windows 7 Forums.

Please follow the steps mentioned below:

To take ownership of a folder

1.      Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
    2.       Click the Security tab, click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

3.       Click Edit. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    4.       Click the name of the person you want to give ownership to.

5.       If you want that person to be the owner of files and subfolders in this folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

6.       Click OK.

For more details, please visit the link mentioned below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-access-denied-when-opening-files-or-folders

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Sujan – Microsoft Support
    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think"

Unfortunately, following the above instructions doesn't work for me. The owner is shown as the Administrator (me) with full control but I still cannot open the image with a viewer. After not finding a solution that worked, I uninstalled Win 7 and reinstalled, but this did not solve the problem.

Work around:

What I have discovered is that Right clicking an individual file, properties/Security/Continue/ gets me to the "Group or user names" which shows

Administrator (myself) with full control. If I add "Everyone" to the "Group or user names" and give it full control I can then access the file, but I have to do this for each individual file and there are thousands. Surely there is a better way to resolve this issue.

This problem does not exist with Win XP on "C".

From what I've read on the Internet, my suspicion is that the problem is somehow caused by having Adobe Photoshop Elements installed in Win XP in "C" and also in Win 7 in "D". These programs are used to work with the images on "F" and the images are at times moved from one folder to another in the Organizer by Photoshop Elements while using either OS.

This is an utterly frustrating problem. I should have access to anything on my computer. The problem is not what I have done but what Microsoft has done. I have the Win 7 Home Premium OS and I am not interested in all the security that may be necessary by someone using a computer at a business. I am presently only using Win XP to work on my pictures when I would prefer to move up to Win 7 which, except for this problem, has worked very well. Would be most appreciative for any light anyone can shed on this obvious snafu.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:15 PM

Answers