none
DistributedCache entries in SharePoint Log

Question

• Hi,

I notice that my log on WFE filled out with lots of entries for DistributedCache, do you have idea on how to turn that off?

Calling... SPDistributedCacheClusterCustomProvider:: GetValue(object transactionContext, string type, string key).
    Successfully executed... SPDistributedCacheClusterCustomProvider:: GetValue(object transactionContext, string type, string key).

Thank you!

Regards,

Edwin

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 7:49 AM

Answers

• Edwin,

Refer the following URL's

http://manojssharepointblog.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/start-and-stop-the-distributed-cache-service-in-sharepoint-2013/

Note: The Distributed Cache service can end up in a nonfunctioning or unrecoverable state if you do not follow the procedures that are listed in this article. In extreme scenarios, you might have to rebuild the server farm. The Distributed Cache depends on Windows Server AppFabric as a prerequisite. Do not administer the AppFabric Caching Service from the Services window in Administrative Tools in Control Panel. Do not use the applications in the folder named AppFabric for Windows Server on the Start menu.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219613.aspx

karim

Please remember to mark your question as answered, if this solves your problem.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:56 AM
  • hi Edwin,

The Distributed Cache service provides in-memory caching services and does not have a dependency on databases for several features in SharePoint Server 2013. Some of the features that use the Distributed Cache service include:
    Newsfeeds
    Authentication
    OneNote client access
    Security Trimming
    Page load performance
    When the service is enabled, these features use the Distributed Cache for quick data retrieval. Blob Cache and Output Cache do not use a distributed caching service since these types of cache exist on each Web Front End server in the farm.

The Feed Cache depends on the Distributed Cache service. Tags and document activities are saved only to the Feed Cache. Tags and document activities are not persisted to content databases. When the Distributed Cache service is stopped, tags and document activities are lost. When the Distributed Cache service is started, repopulation occurs when the feed cache repopulation timer job runs. For more information, see Manage Feed Cache and Last Modified Time Cache repopulation in SharePoint Server 2013. One way to maintain the tags and document activities is to use the method described in Perform a graceful shutdown of the Distributed Cache service 

check below blog to understand more about distributed cache cluster and host

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/d2ee01/distributed-cache-service-in-sharepoint-2013/

karim

Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:59 PM

All replies

• Edwin,

Refer the following URL's

http://manojssharepointblog.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/start-and-stop-the-distributed-cache-service-in-sharepoint-2013/

Note: The Distributed Cache service can end up in a nonfunctioning or unrecoverable state if you do not follow the procedures that are listed in this article. In extreme scenarios, you might have to rebuild the server farm. The Distributed Cache depends on Windows Server AppFabric as a prerequisite. Do not administer the AppFabric Caching Service from the Services window in Administrative Tools in Control Panel. Do not use the applications in the folder named AppFabric for Windows Server on the Start menu.

karim

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:56 AM
  • Hi Karim,

Thanks for the information. I gracefully turn off the distributed cache on one of the WFE and it stopped the activities logging on that server.

Do you know why it happens that way? - I had both WFE running the distributed cache and only one of them kept having the entries logged to the SharePoint log file.  Now, after I turned it off, the reminding WFE has the same entries in the log but only from time to time.

For best practice, is it correct to start one distributed cache service and add more if needed?

Thanks again!

Regards,

Edwin

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:55 PM
  • hi Edwin,

The Distributed Cache service provides in-memory caching services and does not have a dependency on databases for several features in SharePoint Server 2013. Some of the features that use the Distributed Cache service include:
    Newsfeeds
    Authentication
    OneNote client access
    Security Trimming
    Page load performance
    When the service is enabled, these features use the Distributed Cache for quick data retrieval. Blob Cache and Output Cache do not use a distributed caching service since these types of cache exist on each Web Front End server in the farm.

The Feed Cache depends on the Distributed Cache service. Tags and document activities are saved only to the Feed Cache. Tags and document activities are not persisted to content databases. When the Distributed Cache service is stopped, tags and document activities are lost. When the Distributed Cache service is started, repopulation occurs when the feed cache repopulation timer job runs. For more information, see Manage Feed Cache and Last Modified Time Cache repopulation in SharePoint Server 2013. One way to maintain the tags and document activities is to use the method described in Perform a graceful shutdown of the Distributed Cache service 

check below blog to understand more about distributed cache cluster and host

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/d2ee01/distributed-cache-service-in-sharepoint-2013/

karim

Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:59 PM
  • Hi Edwin,

Have you found out why this happened? I have the same situation where one WFE is logging DistributedCache information extensively and the other has normal event logs. I turned off the service in the one which was logging too much (1Gb per every 30 minutes), but I want to know why this happens.

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 03, 2014 10:31 PM
  • rdoe777,

A few days ago I also started getting this same issue.  

The event log mentioned low RAM on the server, so I increased the RAM.

This didnt seem to make a difference. 

But then I discovered you can modify the distributed cache size. Mine was set rather low. To increase it, stop the distributed cache service on all sharepoint servers (from central administration). Then run the following commands.

To check current cache size, open Caching Administration Powershell console and run:

Get-cachehostconfig -computername servername -cacheport 22233

(change servername to your server name)

To change the cache size, open Sharepoint Management Shell and run: 

Update-SPDistributedCacheSize -CacheSizeInMB 409

(change 4096 to whatever size you want to set it to)

Then go back to Central Administration and start the distributed cache services again.

Since making the cache size changes my logs are growing at a normal rate - approx 10MB every 30 min.

• Edited by mmazoue Thursday, June 05, 2014 2:53 AM
    Thursday, June 05, 2014 2:48 AM
  • mmazoue,

I appreciate your suggestion, but I think I got it resolved now.

Simply stopping and starting Distributed Cache service using PowerShell commands worked. I didn't expect it it work though :). I haven't got any unusually big log files since I did this yesterday.

Cheers!

Thursday, June 05, 2014 8:45 PM
  • Saw this too on just one WFE - other was fine.  Each ULS log near 1 GB.  Ran these commands to resolve:

$instanceName ="SPDistributedCacheService Name=AppFabricCachingService" $serviceInstance = Get-SPServiceInstance | ? {($_.service.tostring()) -eq $instanceName -and ($_.server.name) -eq $env:computername} $serviceInstance.Unprovision()

$instanceName ="SPDistributedCacheService Name=AppFabricCachingService" $serviceInstance = Get-SPServiceInstance | ? {($_.service.tostring()) -eq $instanceName -and ($_.server.name) -eq $env:computername} $serviceInstance.Provision()

Then executed Stop-Cachecluster followed by Start-CacheCluster.

Problem resolved.  But cause note identified.

General

Wednesday, January 07, 2015 12:48 AM