MDX query Stop RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I've tried to run a MDX Query but it stopped and said: Error: End of file

I tried to get datas in one grid view, but it stayed empty. Is there a Max number of rows returned ?

Thank you.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 6:08 PM

Answers

• ProClarity won't output results to a file until they are returned in ProClarity, at which point you would have the option of exporting the results.

From what you describe, it sounds like you may want to check memory consumption on the client and the server.  AS 2000 and the 8.0 provider were known to consume large amounts of memory in some circumstances.

Monday, April 21, 2008 9:02 PM

All replies

• fred76bestpsg,

Are you able to successfully run any other MDX queries?  What version of ProClarity are you using?  I'm assuming you're using either Desktop or Web Professional?  Does the machine run out of resources while the query is attempting to run?  There's a theortical maximum number of rows, but I'm not sure what it is.  ProClarity is an analytical tool and not a reporting tool so we usually don't have any problem with returning too many rows. 

-Joey

Thursday, April 17, 2008 8:55 PM
  • Hi Fred,

In addition to Joey's questions;

How did you run the MDX Query?  Did you construct the query within ProClarity's UI, by dragging items onto rows and columns, applying filters, etc., or did you write your own MDX with ProClarity's MDX Dialogue box?

If this MDX is in fact generated by ProClarity, can you copy / paste it into SQL Management Studio to see what the results are?  If the query displays the same behavior within SQL Man Stud then you're more than likely running into issues regarding the way the cube is handling the queries. 

Also, can you ensure you're up to date with all of the latest Analysis Services and ProClarity service packs?  Latest ProClarity patch is 6.3.2214, latest AS sp is SP2.

Regards,

Amanda

Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:19 PM
  • Hello,

In fact i use Proclarity 6.3.2214 with SSAS 2000 SP4, my query is quite long and come from SAS-ABN, when i try to paste this query in Proclary MDX Editor the query is cut, so it's a problem too. M try to modify for Proclarity but after about 6 minutes running Proclarity shows a Message saying that END OF FILE something like that... It doesen't seem a problem of memory for SSAS 2000 but i need to prove by using another software that my problem doesn't come from SSAS 2000.

Thank you for your help

Friday, April 18, 2008 10:24 AM
  • 6.3.2212 and later can hold a huge amount of pasted data in the MDX Editor.  If 2214 is still cutting off your pasted text, then I would guess that the query is either very, very large, or, version 2212 or later is not being used.  Either way, I suggest trying the same steps in the MDX Sample Application and letting us know the results.  Does the MDX Sample Application cut off your pasted query?  How large is a text file if you past the query into it and check the size?  Does the query run and return in the Sample App? 

We don't support all types of MDX pasted into the MDX Editor.  Is there a way you can create the view using the Professional and let ProClarity build the MDX for you?

-Joey 

Friday, April 18, 2008 5:03 PM
  • Hello again Fred,

Thanks for the additional information.  ProClarity's MDX Editor is merely that, an editor for ProClarity generated MDX.  If you're trying to mimic an analysis view from another application then ProClarity may have trouble interpreting its code if there are any differences whatsoever.  I suggest, as Joey stated, running the query directly from within ProClarity (by dragging and dropping hierarchies onto rows and columns, applying filters, etc.).  You should not run into problems that way. 

I notice you stated that you must prove your problem is not AS 2000 related.  Are you running into problems with SAP or Analysis Services itself?  The tools I typically use for testing are ProClarity, Excel, SQL Management Studio, or the MDX Sample Application so I'm not much help when it comes to tools outside those realms. Have you thought of posting your AS 2000 inquiry to the Analysis Services forum?

Amanda

Friday, April 18, 2008 8:55 PM
  • Hello again;

Thank you for helping me, in fact the Query is created by SAS-ABN and i don't have to modify this one. When using MDX Sample or Proclarity i got the same message: End of file reached and MDX Sample add Unable to open cellset.

Maybe it's a lack of memory, i don't really know... When i use SAS-ABN it stops everytile at the same number of rows returned.

Is it possible with Proclarity to send results to a file ?

Thank you . 

Sunday, April 20, 2008 11:44 AM
  • ProClarity won't output results to a file until they are returned in ProClarity, at which point you would have the option of exporting the results.

From what you describe, it sounds like you may want to check memory consumption on the client and the server.  AS 2000 and the 8.0 provider were known to consume large amounts of memory in some circumstances.

Monday, April 21, 2008 9:02 PM
  • If memory serves, there are some ways to force processing of the query almost entirely on the server - this may help.

-Joey

Monday, April 21, 2008 9:24 PM