none
Task Dependecies RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All.

I have one question. I've worked in a project which had MS Project as tool and I remember that All tasks didn't have predecessors on it, I just needed to allocate the resource and MS Project did everything automatically, i.e., it showed everything sequentially for each resource. But I can't find anything on internet, not even a article or maybe I'm not searching it correctly.

Does anybody know how to do it?

Cheers.

Saturday, March 30, 2013 2:33 PM

Answers

• Hello Tiago Nuness,

Project may schedule tasks with resources assigned using the Resource Leveling command.  The resource leveling command will delay tasks (changing the schedule) in the circumstance that the resource is Overallocated.

See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/about-resource-leveling-HP001041939.aspx

I hope this helps.

Julie

• Marked as answer by Tiago Nuness Saturday, March 30, 2013 3:13 PM
    Saturday, March 30, 2013 2:40 PM

All replies

• Hello Tiago Nuness,

Project may schedule tasks with resources assigned using the Resource Leveling command.  The resource leveling command will delay tasks (changing the schedule) in the circumstance that the resource is Overallocated.

See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/about-resource-leveling-HP001041939.aspx

I hope this helps.

Julie

• Marked as answer by Tiago Nuness Saturday, March 30, 2013 3:13 PM
    Saturday, March 30, 2013 2:40 PM
  • Perfect!

Thank you so much. 

Saturday, March 30, 2013 3:13 PM
  • You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.
    Saturday, March 30, 2013 3:28 PM
  • Tiago,

Remember that: although MS Project can work in that way (sequence activities using the leveling feature), it's not a good practice in terms of Project Management. According to PMI, every task in your schedule needs a predecessor and a sucessor. The only exception is the start milestone and the finish milestone.

And why?

Because you need to control your project in a dynamic way so a change in one task can automatically show your impact on the other task and you, as a project manager, can act.

That's the best practice, ok?

Thanks a lot,

Alex.

Alexandre Paiva, PMP, MCTS, ITIL Project Manager +55 (21) 8887-3645 alexandre.paiva@gerentedeprojeto.net.br www.gerentedeprojeto.net.br

Saturday, March 30, 2013 8:24 PM