451-You have exceeded your permitted sending rate for 451 RRS feed

• Question

• Environment: Exchange 2016 15.1.1713.5. Send connector is using Vipre mail security as smart host. 
    One of our users got compromised and sent out a lot of spam, we have created new credentials, cleaned computer etc. Deleted all OWA / mobile connections. 
    User is unable to send external e-mail messages, internal is working. Error message in queue viewer: 

From Address: useremail
    Size (KB): 11
    Message Source Name: SMTP:Default EXCHANGESERVER
    Source IP: EXCHANGESERVER IP
    SCL: -1
    Date Received: 12.04.2020 14.46.46
    Expiration Time: 16.04.2020 14.46.46
    Last Error: 451-You have exceeded your permitted sending rate for
    451 useremail(102.3 / 1h)
    Queue ID: EXCHANGESERVER\3
    Recipients:  useremail;3;2;[{LED=451-You have exceeded your permitted sending rate for
    451 useremail (102.3 / 1h)}

What I have done sone far: created and applied new throttling policy, with -RecipientRateLimit 3000 -MessageRateLimit 3000. Created a new send connector. Moved to user to a different mailstore. Disabled / enabled user in ECP. Increased values temporarily according to MS rate limis on website. Rebooted services, throttling, store, transport etc after every change. 

Has anyone had this issue before? It seems like the user budget is stuck or the throttling policy are not applied. 
    Sunday, April 12, 2020 1:38 PM

Answers

• Yes, eventually after the e-mail has been in queue for 2 days, sender gets this NDR in the inbox:  <o:p></o:p>

Total retry attempts: 194

recepient@domain.com
     04.04.2020 05.05.52 - Server at exchangeserver.domain.com returned '550 5.4.300 Message expired'<o:p></o:p>

and what do the SMTP procotol logs on the send connector show?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mail-flow/connectors/configure-protocol-logging?view=exchserver-2019

I have a feeling this is an issue with you smarthost or external recipient domain and not Exchange itself. 

• Marked as answer by robert4545 Tuesday, April 14, 2020 7:26 AM
    Sunday, April 12, 2020 8:06 PM
  • Hi robert4545,

This error message typically means that Exchange has made several attempts to send the message to the destination, but was not able to successfully deliver the message across those attempts.

Would you enable OWA and test sending mails to external with OWA? 

Also, try to create a new user mailbox for testing and see if the new-deployed users will meet such issue.

As Andy said, I think it's likely to be the recipient side or smart host's configuration.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 13, 2020 5:20 AM

All replies

• Environment: Exchange 2016 15.1.1713.5. Send connector is using Vipre mail security as smart host. 
    One of our users got compromised and sent out a lot of spam, we have created new credentials, cleaned computer etc. Deleted all OWA / mobile connections. 
    User is unable to send external e-mail messages, internal is working. Error message in queue viewer: 

From Address: useremail
    Size (KB): 11
    Message Source Name: SMTP:Default EXCHANGESERVER
    Source IP: EXCHANGESERVER IP
    SCL: -1
    Date Received: 12.04.2020 14.46.46
    Expiration Time: 16.04.2020 14.46.46
    Last Error: 451-You have exceeded your permitted sending rate for
    451 useremail(102.3 / 1h)
    Queue ID: EXCHANGESERVER\3
    Recipients:  useremail;3;2;[{LED=451-You have exceeded your permitted sending rate for
    451 useremail (102.3 / 1h)}

What I have done sone far: created and applied new throttling policy, with -RecipientRateLimit 3000 -MessageRateLimit 3000. Created a new send connector. Moved to user to a different mailstore. Disabled / enabled user in ECP. Increased values temporarily according to MS rate limis on website. Rebooted services, throttling, store, transport etc after every change. 

Has anyone had this issue before? It seems like the user budget is stuck or the throttling policy are not applied. 
    Does the sender get a NDR? If so please post the complete and exact NDR with the actual personal / domains names removed

Sunday, April 12, 2020 2:57 PM
  • Yes, eventually after the e-mail has been in queue for 2 days, sender gets this NDR in the inbox:  <o:p></o:p>

recepient@domain.com
     04.04.2020 05.05.52 - Server at exchangeserver.domain.com returned '550 5.4.300 Message expired'<o:p></o:p>

Sunday, April 12, 2020 6:52 PM

recepient@domain.com

and what do the SMTP procotol logs on the send connector show?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mail-flow/connectors/configure-protocol-logging?view=exchserver-2019

I have a feeling this is an issue with you smarthost or external recipient domain and not Exchange itself. 

• Marked as answer by robert4545 Tuesday, April 14, 2020 7:26 AM
    Sunday, April 12, 2020 8:06 PM
  • Hi robert4545,

This error message typically means that Exchange has made several attempts to send the message to the destination, but was not able to successfully deliver the message across those attempts.

Would you enable OWA and test sending mails to external with OWA? 

Also, try to create a new user mailbox for testing and see if the new-deployed users will meet such issue.

As Andy said, I think it's likely to be the recipient side or smart host's configuration.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 13, 2020 5:20 AM
  • I enabled protocol logging, and it said pretty much the same:

exchange05,MACADDRESS,18,x.x.x.x:60970,vipre.ip.address:25,,451  You have exceeded your permitted sending rate for senderATdomain.com (476.1 / 1h),

However, in this log it indicated that the Vipre mail security vendor is blocking this after all – which led me to next thing, change the primary smtp address, and voila the e-mail came through. I will check with the mail security vendors support and give you an update. Thanks. 

Monday, April 13, 2020 10:37 AM
  • I was always using OWA externally when testing. This is the only users affected and new users works fine. It seems like Andy is correct – I trough that I sorted this out when using another smart host, I’m sorry but that smart host I used for test purpose must have not been working at all. I will update when I hear back from the mail security Vendor.

Thanks. 

Monday, April 13, 2020 10:40 AM
  • The user what blocked by Vipre, it’s all good now. Strange thing, it was no alert from them or anything indicating in the self-service portal that the user was blocked.

Thanks for your help. Resolution: Blocked by smart host mail security vendor.

Tuesday, April 14, 2020 7:28 AM
  • I'm pleased to know that the issue has been solved.

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post so that other forum members could easily find useful information here:
    [Exchange Server > Exchange Server 2016 -451-You have exceeded your permitted sending rate for 451  — Summary]

Issue Symptom:
    One user cannot send external messages after getting compromised 

Solution:
    Blocked by smart host mail security vendor.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Thursday, April 30, 2020 8:12 AM