none
Applying GPO to a Group Containing Computer Objects

Question

• I have created several groups to which I have added several computer objects. Then I created a GPO to apply computer settings using the previously created groups. After forcing a gpupdate on the computers and running a Group Policy Results, none of the computers received the GPO/settings. When I first started testing, all the computer objects were contained in the default computers folders and the group containing the computer objects was in the OU to which the new GPO was applied. As I continued to test the new GPO, I moved the computer objects to the same OU that the new GPO was applied with the group of computer object applied to the GPO. Even after moving the computer objects and forcing gpupdate, the new GPO was not applied. Finally, I added the specific computer objects in the new GPO instead of the group of computer objects. Once I forced a gpupdate, the results showed that the new GPO was applied to the computer objects. What I would like to know, is there a way to use a group of computer objects to apply computer settings with a GPO? I do not want to have to add each individual computer object to a GPO. 
    Friday, January 16, 2015 5:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>is there a way to use a group of computer objects to apply computer settings with a GPO? I do not want to have to add each individual computer object to a GPO. 

A GPO can be linked to Site, Domain, and OU. To achieve your target, you can put your targeted computer objects to an OU, and then link the GPO to the OU. Or, you can link the GPO to domain, but use security filtering to apply the GPO to the specific computer group. Putting the groups of which the computer accounts have membership but not computer objects into OUs will not get the GPOs linked to the OUs applied to the computer objects.

In addition, regarding security filtering, the following articles can be referred to for more information.

Security filtering using GPMC

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781988(v=ws.10).aspx

Filter Using Security Groups

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc752992.aspx

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

Monday, January 19, 2015 9:01 AM