EWS unavailable, retrying RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

have you seen an issue with new clients where SFB 2016 or Lync 2013 clients show "EWS unavailable, retrying", voicemail icon unavailable and it stays like this for 15 minutes and then disapears with EWS status OK and voicemail icon arrives?

Older clients like Lync 2010 do not have this issue. Infra behind is Skype for Business 2015 server and Exchange 2010. 

This is only for certain user, for the others all looks ok and voicemail arrives immediately. I tried to capture with fiddler, but all SOAP dialogs are the same in both cases. 

I tried to initialise voicemail, leave voicemail, reset PIN, open with OWA, etc, but the results are the same. Same story for internal and external clients.

How can I trace why Lync client is waiting for 15 minutes?

Thanks, Dan

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Daniyar,

EWS related to your Autodiscover.domain.com A record in DNS to find EWS. Did you Autodiscover.domain.com A record point multiply your Exchange CAS(s)?

Did you use proxy connect to the Exchange server or SFB server on these PCs?

You could try to use following steps about this problem.

• Exit Lync Client
    • Backup your old “Conversation History” folder contains in Outlook (export it to a file)
    • Delete the “Conversation History” folder and close “outlook”
    • Make sure that Lync and outlook are completely closed and no processes are running in the Task Manager
    • Start “run” and type in outlook /reset folders
    • Start Lync, and test (wait 10 minutes for the folder to start saving)

Regards,

Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 5:35 AM

• Hi Leon,

There are no issues with autodiscovery, this has been tested. CAS servers are behind NLB IP address. Proxy is not used internally, but used for internet access.  However the issue is the same if I use external PC with direct internet or if I use internal PC. So proxy I think should be excluded. Also not clear why older clients get throght immediately, but newer clients blocks for 15 min, and only for some users.

I will try reset folders and let you know the result.

Regards, Dan

Thursday, December 14, 2017 8:44 AM
  • Hi Dan,

Have you retested the folders?did you have some update?

Regards,

Leon Lu

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 18, 2017 9:24 AM
  • Hello, I did the reset and it recreated the folders, but still the issue is there.

Any other ideas?

Additional info:

I installed in parallel Lync 2013 client RTM (from DVD disk) with no updates and connected with the same user, and as expected no error, voicemail button available immediately. Now that I connect with Skype for Business 2016 with recent updates it works without error in this new client. As if RTM Lync 2013 adds something to the Exchange mailbox that fixes it for all newer clients.

Regards, Dan

Monday, December 18, 2017 3:01 PM
  • Hello,

with further test, I discovered that this is related to presence or absence of Lync Contacts folder in mailbox.  When we run Lync 2013 RTM, it will create this folder and then when we run SFB 2016 it will rename it to Skype for Business Contacts and will continue working with no errors and no delays. How can we fix this issue centrally (without running Lync RTM client)

Thanks, Dan

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 8:50 AM
  • Hi Daniyar,

if you want to use Lync 2013 ,Please try to update your Lync 2013 to the latest version

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dn788954.aspx

Regards,

Leon Lu

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 12:15 PM
  • Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue.

Regards,

Leon Lu

Thursday, December 21, 2017 12:22 PM
  • Friday, December 22, 2017 12:52 PM
  • Thanks for your sharing

Regards,

Leon Lu

Sunday, December 24, 2017 12:45 PM