locked
Exchange 2007 SP3 failing to install

    Question

  • I use Exchange SP2. When I try to install SP3 I get the message: 'Exchange Server setup encountered an error'. In the log file I read the following:

    [11-9-2010 14:33:37] [0] **********************************************
    [11-9-2010 14:33:37] [0] Starting Microsoft Exchange 2007 Setup
    [11-9-2010 14:33:37] [0] **********************************************
    [11-9-2010 14:33:37] [0] Operating System version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2.
    [11-9-2010 14:33:37] [0] Setup version: 8.3.83.6.
    [11-9-2010 14:33:37] [0] Logged on user: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    [11-9-2010 14:33:37] [0] Command Line Parameter Name='mode', Value='Upgrade'.
    [11-9-2010 14:33:37] [0] Command Line Parameter Name='sourcedir', Value='C:\Exchange Service Packs\Exchange SP3\Uitpakken'.
    [11-9-2010 14:33:37] [0] Command Line Parameter Name='fromsetup', Value=''.
    [11-9-2010 14:33:37] [0] ExSetupUI was started with the following command: '-mode:upgrade -sourcedir:C:\Exchange Service Packs\Exchange SP3\Uitpakken /FromSetup'.

    Who can help me to resolve this problem?

    Tom.

     

    Saturday, September 11, 2010 1:36 PM

Answers

All replies

  • The log that you posted does not show the error.  Can you search for the word "error" in the log and post the results?
    Tim Harrington - Catapult Systems - http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 4:06 PM
  • Tim, this is all I get. When I repeat the setup procedure, I every time get the same results.

     

    Sunday, September 12, 2010 7:18 PM
  • Can you disable any AV client installed on the server?  Can you re-download the SP3 package and try it again?  Make sure you are running it locally from the server (not a network share),
    Tim Harrington - Catapult Systems - http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 7:23 PM
  • AV is disabled, I re-downloaded SP3 and I'm running it from a folder on my c-drive. Every time I get the message 'Exchange Server setup encountered an error' and the same info in the log-file.
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 8:12 PM
  • Try running the update with elevated permissions since this appears to be a Windows 2008 server.

     

     

    • Proposed as answer by Jo3 S Friday, September 24, 2010 9:12 AM
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 8:18 PM
  • What SP level is your 2008 server on?  I believe SP2 is required for Windows 2008.


    Tim Harrington - Catapult Systems - http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 8:21 PM
  • Hi,

    Please open event viewer and check the application logs to see if there are any errors relating to this problem.

    What are the language version of your exchange server and the operation system?  Make sure that the SP3 you downloaded is the same language version as your exchange server.


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Thanks Gen Lin-MSFT
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:58 AM
  • Thanks all for the reactions.

    - My operating system is Windows Small Business Server SP2

    - The language of my SBS is Dutch, Exchange is in English

    - Event viewer reports: Watson report about to be sent to dw20.exe for proces id:8976, with parameters: E12,,,,,,, ErrorReportingEnabled: False

    And this is what Microsoft tells about it:

    Details
    Product: Exchange
    Id: 4999
    Bron: MSExchange Common
    Versie: 8.0
    Symbolische naam: ExchangeCrash
    Bericht: Watson report about to be sent to dw20.exe for process id: %1, with parameters: %2, %3, %4, %5, %6, %7, %8, %9, %10. ErrorReportingEnabled: %11
       
    Uitleg

    This Error event indicates that one of the servers that is running Microsoft® Exchange Server processes crashed. The process ID (PID) for this process is specified in the event description.

       
    Gebruikersactie

    To resolve this error, contact Microsoft Product Support Services. For more information about how to contact support, visit the Microsoft Help and Support Web site.

    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:41 PM
  • I am not an SBS expert, but check out these 2 links:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982423/en-us

    http://www.sbsfaq.com/?p=2140


    Tim Harrington - Catapult Systems - http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by Gen Lin Friday, September 24, 2010 2:05 AM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:01 PM
  • Did you ever find the answer to this problem?  I had the same problem and it turned out that I have IP v6 set to obtain an automatic address.  I did an ipconfig and found the address it was assigned, then copied and pasted it into the IP v6 settings as the manual address.  That solved the problem for me. Once it started running and verifiying the prerequisits, it had one more little hiccup that it needed the Distributed Transaction Coordinator started, which it already was running, so I restarted it and selected Retry on the installation and everything was off and running.  The install finished and Exchange is now working on my server.  Don't know if this helps, but I saw this when I was trying to resolve my problem and I thought I'd post what worked for me.  For the record, from all of the stupid prompts about this service or that feature needing to be installed first, Microsoft should build a smaller installer that can tell you what's wrong and asks if you want to install the needed items on the fly so you can continue the install of Exchange.  Making us stop and figure out what's needed then install yet another needed piece of the puzzle is just lame.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:33 PM