none
OS deployment to laptops with lids closed and battery power? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to deploy Windows 7 to laptops with the lids closed.  I send wake on lan to start the deployment and it works on some of the laptops (they are all identical) and the rest run part way and never complete until I walk to the laptop and open the lid (then the deployment resumes).

I am assuming the reason some complete and some do not is because the smart device that charges these laptops charges the laptops in banks to avoid overloading the power source and maybe the laptops do not want to continue after a reboot if they are not actively charging at that moment and the lid is closed.

Are there any special settings (power plan settings or BIOS settings) we should configure to ensure that deployment continues unattended whether the lid is open or closed and whether the laptop is charging or not?

Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:06 AM

Answers

• The laptops were going to sleep when they are rebooted with the lid closed.

I set a GPO to do nothing when the lid is closed on battery and on a/c power and that resolved the issue.

• Marked as answer by MyGposts Friday, May 30, 2014 12:29 AM
    Friday, May 30, 2014 12:28 AM

All replies

• No idea what to tell you. If it were me and some of them worked while others didn't, I would do some bios comparisons or reset the bios on each. Good luck.

.bill

Regards, Bill Moore @BMooreAtDell

Thursday, May 29, 2014 2:40 AM
  • Would applying a policy to have the laptops do nothing when the laptop lid is closed (as opposed to sleep, hibernate or power off) regardless to being on power or battery?

What's the best way to do this in a task sequence so that it applies immediately in case a domain group policy configured to do this doesn't take effect immediately at the first boot into Windows? 

Thursday, May 29, 2014 10:22 AM
  • ^^ Use POWERCFG to configure such things: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748940(v=ws.10).aspx it's a tool which works through the command line.

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Thursday, May 29, 2014 10:29 AM
  • ^^ Use POWERCFG to configure such things: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748940(v=ws.10).aspx it's a tool which works through the command line.

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Where is the earliest point I can add this command?  Right under the Install Operating System task or at a later point?
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:18 PM
  • I am assuming the reason some complete and some do not is because the smart device that charges these laptops charges the laptops in banks to avoid overloading the power source and maybe the laptops do not want to continue after a reboot if they are not actively charging at that moment and the lid is closed.

Are there any special settings (power plan settings or BIOS settings) we should configure to ensure that deployment continues unattended whether the lid is open or closed and whether the laptop is charging or not?

Connect an external monitor up to one of the laptops in question to see what is really going on. Specifically what is blocking things here? Are the machines actually booted into WinPE or the full OS, or are they blocked at BIOS.

Everything else at this point is speculation. There is nothing built into MDT Litetouch that would prevent it from continuing due to the state of the Laptop LID

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant (owner) at <a href="http://DeploymentLive.com/">http://DeploymentLive.com</a>

Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:14 PM
  • The laptops were going to sleep when they are rebooted with the lid closed.

I set a GPO to do nothing when the lid is closed on battery and on a/c power and that resolved the issue.

• Marked as answer by MyGposts Friday, May 30, 2014 12:29 AM
    Friday, May 30, 2014 12:28 AM