none
Can HP Softpaqs be installed during deployment using offline media? RRS feed

• Question

• I have some systems that use HP Softpaqs to install drivers/applications that need an installer to run and there is no apparent silent command that works on the softpaqs directly.  I tried /s /silent /quiet etc. and they all still pop up a wizard.

So, we will need to use the HP SDM SSM to quietly install these application based drivers, but the process seems to run based on connecting to a UNC path.  However, we will be using offline USB deployments for these systems with no network.  Is there any way to get this done other than manually installing these Softpaqs or making a model specific image that contains all the drivers already installed? 

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 7:40 PM

Answers

• I tried it outside of MDT with various switches and it is never silent, so I didn't bother adding it as a task sequence.

according to the SSM guide, SSM does allow a local file store path, or a UNC path

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/whitepapers/SSM_UserGuide.pdf

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by MyGposts Wednesday, January 7, 2015 3:12 AM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 2:25 AM
  • According to the document linked above you would have to create multiple stores. And run the stores in a particular order to control the installation order.  TBH though this really might best be served by HP.  Anything here is kind of a guess regarding their tool since your issue is out of the scope of MDT.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 3:11 AM

All replies

• In the majority of cases I find the softpaq exes are just self extracting to the swsetup folder.  YOu can sometimes get away with adding the app in as an application and using a VBWrapper.

If they contain drivers only, add them in to deploy as normal, if they contain applications I'd control it through the task sequence.

Crack open your task sequence and under the custom tasks folder create a folder for which ever model you're imaging.  Place a condition on the folder, such as a WMI query on the model so the tasks inside the folder will only run if the condition is met, then place your Softpaqs in as applications with a silent install command.  I blogged about this, it may help you.  See what you think: http://www.deploymentshare.com/post/singular-task-sequence-multiple-jobs

If you create a "softpaqs" folder within applications and add them in as apps, you will be able to select that folder to be included in your offline media when you regenerate it so it wont look to any UNC path at all.

Regards
    Jonnie

MCP, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA.. Gunning for MCSE Cloud | Please visit www.deploymentshare.com | If I help you solve your issue please mark my reply as the answer.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 11:29 PM
  • Are you able to get the HP tool to silently do what you are asking outside of MDT?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 11:35 PM
  • I tried it outside of MDT with various switches and it is never silent, so I didn't bother adding it as a task sequence.
    Tuesday, January 6, 2015 11:54 PM
  • Some of the softpaqs had driver files in them and I extracted them and added them to Out of Box Drivers and they worked, but there are several where extracting the softpaq only leads to more exe files and other non-driver files.  The an application must run to install the drivers.

I tried running those with quiet switches and they are not quiet.  So some softpaqs must be run using HP's ssm.exe app to be silent.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 11:59 PM
  • I was able to get SSM to function by importing the files as an application and running it from .\Applications, but it still does not completely solve the problem of automating the installation of these drivers.

Several drivers must be installed in a specific order because one is a prerequisite to the other. 

Does anyone know if there is any way to control driver installation order when using the HP System Software Manager ssm.exe during a task sequence?

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 2:02 AM

according to the SSM guide, SSM does allow a local file store path, or a UNC path

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/whitepapers/SSM_UserGuide.pdf

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 2:25 AM
  • In the majority of cases I find the softpaq exes are just self extracting to the swsetup folder.  YOu can sometimes get away with adding the app in as an application and using a VBWrapper.

If they contain drivers only, add them in to deploy as normal, if they contain applications I'd control it through the task sequence.

Crack open your task sequence and under the custom tasks folder create a folder for which ever model you're imaging.  Place a condition on the folder, such as a WMI query on the model so the tasks inside the folder will only run if the condition is met, then place your Softpaqs in as applications with a silent install command.  I blogged about this, it may help you.  See what you think: http://www.deploymentshare.com/post/singular-task-sequence-multiple-jobs

If you create a "softpaqs" folder within applications and add them in as apps, you will be able to select that folder to be included in your offline media when you regenerate it so it wont look to any UNC path at all.

Regards
    Jonnie

MCP, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA.. Gunning for MCSE Cloud | Please visit www.deploymentshare.com | If I help you solve your issue please mark my reply as the answer.

The problem is that some of the softpaqs will not install silently if you execute them directly and, if you use ssm to run them, I don't see any way of controlling the installation order.  I don't see what controls the installation order of ssm. 

Some will install silently, but there are some really messy "driver" installs that install applications and make registry edits and run batch files that do other things, yet they do not document any silent commands to launch them other than using SSM.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 3:06 AM
  • According to the document linked above you would have to create multiple stores. And run the stores in a particular order to control the installation order.  TBH though this really might best be served by HP.  Anything here is kind of a guess regarding their tool since your issue is out of the scope of MDT.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 3:11 AM