none
Outlook signature strange sign when set in registry

Question

• Hi,

We are pushing out a signature for all our users with a self built script and it works perfectly.

For now users had to set it manually in Outlook. We are now looking into setting it automatically.

I have looked at this discussion:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/f9fd782e-ecdb-41e1-b00a-0b4b2cfd7d32/outlook-signature-registry-settings?forum=outlook

If we set the registry values under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\<Version>\Common\MailSettings then it works perfectly. But we want the users to be able to change signature settings - some users have extra signatures.

So I tried setting the other values under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Profiles\<Profile Name>\9375CFF0413111d3B88A00104B2A6676\<0000000x>

It also sets the signature correctly. But if I create a new message then instead of the signature there is this text instead:

If I check the signature in Outlook settings then it seems correct, but as soon as I create or reply to a message then the signature is the text above instead.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? 

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 10:35 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Do you have the signature file copied to the Signature folder under the user profile?

Does this issue happen to normally created signature in Outlook signature editor? We may try to set the NewSignature and ReplySignature value to the name of a normally created signature and then see whether this issue continues.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:05 AM
  • Hello,

Do you have the signature file copied to the Signature folder under the user profile?

Does this issue happen to normally created signature in Outlook signature editor? We may try to set the NewSignature and ReplySignature value to the name of a normally created signature and then see whether this issue continues.

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Hi Steve,

Actually if I edit the signature in Outlook and then save it, then it doesn't happen. So it seems to be an issue with the HTML in the file generated by our signature program - even though I am unsure what the problem is, since the file works fine in some scenarious. 

And works fine if I open it in a browser.

Monday, March 20, 2017 8:36 AM
  • >>So it seems to be an issue with the HTML in the file generated by our signature program

I agree with this. The issue is more likely related to how the signature were created by the program. If you are familiar with HTML, you may consider to open the .htm file for the signature and compare it to a working one to see if there is any clue.

In addition, if it's a 3rd-party program that you used to create the signatures, you may also consider to contact the support for the program to get further assistance.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Thursday, March 23, 2017 2:53 AM