none
553 Sorry, That domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

Question

• I have an exchange user who is trying to send an email to a UK address.  He is receiving a delivery failure message with the error 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1).  He receives this error if sent from either his Outlook client or Web Outlook.  I don't know that we have ever attempted to send email outside the US before. 

Our email is sent through an Windows 2003 application server that runs an email filtering application before it is then sent out.  Our MX record points to the application server. 

Is this error being generated by the exchange server, email filtering server, or our ISP?

Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:46 PM

Answers

• If you are not having any other issues with sending to any other domains, then I would first verify that your server is not on any Blacklists.  (http://www.mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx)  If everything looks clean there, then try and contact the recipient's IT department to see if you are on some privately maintained blocklist they use.  It really looks like the message is being rejected by their server.

Remember:  During an e-mail transaction, your server talks with their server.  If their server rejects a message, your server will send you the Non-Delivery Report (NDR).  That report will say why their server rejected the message.  This can be semantically confusing, but is just the computer equivalent of "someone told me to tell you that they are rejecting your message."  I hope that makes sense.
    • Marked as answer by brhgriffith Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:02 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 6:34 PM

All replies

• This could be a number of things, not the least of which could the recipient's mail server.  Can you give us some more details regarding your setup?  How is the e-mail setup on your network?  You said you send through and application server.  I am not sure what you mean.  Is the e-mail generated by an application and funneled through Exchange, or is the application server filtering Exchange's outbound e-mail?  What version of Exchange are you running?  Lastly can anyone at your company send an e-mail to this UK based recipient?  If possible cut and past the e-mail here, but change the server and user infomation to protect the identities of the parties involved. 
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:30 PM
  • We are running Exchange 2003.  All incoming and outgoing email is filtered through the application server running SurfControl Email Filter software. 

Three people within the organization have tried to send to this UK recipient with the same results.

Below is the delivery response email:

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:52 PM

To: Doe, John

Subject:

Your message could not be sent.

A transcript of the attempts to send the message follows.

The number of attempts made: 1

Addressed To: wxyz@abcd.co.uk

Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:52:08 -0500

Failed to send to identified host,

wxyz@abcd.co.uk: [123.456.789.012], 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

--- Message non-deliverable.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:59 PM
  • If you are not having any other issues with sending to any other domains, then I would first verify that your server is not on any Blacklists.  (http://www.mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx)  If everything looks clean there, then try and contact the recipient's IT department to see if you are on some privately maintained blocklist they use.  It really looks like the message is being rejected by their server.

Remember:  During an e-mail transaction, your server talks with their server.  If their server rejects a message, your server will send you the Non-Delivery Report (NDR).  That report will say why their server rejected the message.  This can be semantically confusing, but is just the computer equivalent of "someone told me to tell you that they are rejecting your message."  I hope that makes sense.
    • Marked as answer by brhgriffith Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:02 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 6:34 PM
  •  I have checked the blacklists and we are not on them.  I tried to send the message from my yahoo account and it was also rejected.  Based on this and your comments I am fairly certain that the recipient's server is rejecting it.  I will contact their IT department as suggested.

Thank you for your help.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:02 PM