none
Brief question about driver management in MDT Upragde Task Sequence RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for advice on the option for driver injection in an Upgrade Task Sequence.

I made a Standard Client Upgrade task solely for my VM's to get them to 1703. A few techs would like to use it on physical machines as well. For my VM's, I disabled the driver injection (set to Nothing). I'm guessing that for physical machines, I need to choose All Drivers?
    When I choose that, every single driver on the server gets added. Am I going to have to set up driver paths for the Upgrade as I do for my typical Deploys? That seems daunting.

I read that the best method is to add drivers during the Upgrade because Windows may try to swap them out for generic ones.

What would my best approach be for drivers in the Upgrade TS?
    Thanks

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 2:28 PM

Answers

• You can treat an Update task sequence the same as a Standard task sequence as far as drivers are concerned.  Here are 3 methods for handling drivers:

https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

• Marked as answer by the1rickster Wednesday, October 11, 2017 7:28 PM
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 6:22 PM
  • To expand a bit on the previous answer:

MDT will generate an upgrade command based on your TS and will add the /InstallDrivers switch which adds .inf-style drivers to the Windows 10 installation. The command will recurse through the OSUpgradeDriverPath location.

' Generate upgrade command

If oEnvironment.Item("OSUpgradeDriverPath") <> "" then 
    			sCmd = sCmd & " /InstallDrivers " &  oEnvironment.Item("OSUpgradeDriverPath")
    		End if	

So, basically, you would need to enable Inject Driver step and then follow Johan's guidance in the link posted above. Go for example 3, which in the long term is the best approach for driver management.

Never ever set the Inject Driver step to "All Drivers" as that, in addition to being painfully slow, may wreak havoc on your installation.

Windows 10 may indeed replace drivers which may affect system's stability during the upgrade process. A prime candidate is the GPU driver.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

• Edited by Anton Romanyuk Wednesday, October 11, 2017 6:45 PM
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 6:44 PM

All replies

• You can treat an Update task sequence the same as a Standard task sequence as far as drivers are concerned.  Here are 3 methods for handling drivers:

https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 6:22 PM
  • Thanks. I use total control for my regular Tasks Seq's. I wasn't sure if I had to do all of that for the Upgrade Task as well. Argh. Seems so.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 6:43 PM
  • To expand a bit on the previous answer:

MDT will generate an upgrade command based on your TS and will add the /InstallDrivers switch which adds .inf-style drivers to the Windows 10 installation. The command will recurse through the OSUpgradeDriverPath location.

' Generate upgrade command

If oEnvironment.Item("OSUpgradeDriverPath") <> "" then 
    			sCmd = sCmd & " /InstallDrivers " &  oEnvironment.Item("OSUpgradeDriverPath")
    		End if	

So, basically, you would need to enable Inject Driver step and then follow Johan's guidance in the link posted above. Go for example 3, which in the long term is the best approach for driver management.

Never ever set the Inject Driver step to "All Drivers" as that, in addition to being painfully slow, may wreak havoc on your installation.

Windows 10 may indeed replace drivers which may affect system's stability during the upgrade process. A prime candidate is the GPU driver.

Cheers,
    Anton

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

• Edited by Anton Romanyuk Wednesday, October 11, 2017 6:45 PM
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 6:44 PM
  • Thanks. I use total control for my regular Tasks Seq's. I wasn't sure if I had to do all of that for the Upgrade Task as well. Argh. Seems so.

Sounds like you have all the stuff you need already in place :)

Cheers,
    Anton

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 7:37 PM