none
Adding Disks RRS feed

• Question

• I installed DPM 2010 and I am trying to get it working.  When I try to add a disk, though, it errors with:

The operation failed due to a virtual disk service error

Retry the operation

ID: 360

Details: The system cannot find the file specified

If offers nothing beyond that.  What file it is referring to, I don't know.  Also, when I try to add the disk, it tells me that I am trying to add a basic disk and that it will convert it to a dynamic disk.  But, the disk is a dynamic disk already.  I converted it to a dynamic disk because DPM was complaining and I thought if I converted it, DPM might be happier.  Plus, I have 4 raw disks on that machine (disks 1 - 4) but when I try to add a disk, DPM tells me I only have 3: Disks 1,3 and 4 are available.  All 4 disks are identical so I have no idea why it refuses to acknowledge that disk 2 exists.  Windows (2K8R2) recognizes the disk.

What do I need to do to add disks to this installation?  How can I find out what issue(s) DPM has with disk 2?

Thanks

Bert

Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:18 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Can you open up registry editor and check the following:

HKLM\software\microsoft\microsoft data protection manager\setup

String: DatabasePath <------Is value for this path correct?

Thanks
    Shane

• Marked as answer by Bert Penney Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:25 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Penney,

The "The system cannot find the file specified" looks to be misleading. Have you checked the virtual disk service in Windows services to make sure it was started and there are no issues there? Also have you checked event logs for any additional info? Here is a list of common errors for the virtual disk service: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb525578%28v=vs.85%29.aspx.

What is the size of the disk you are adding?

Try this: Wipe out the disk and completely remove it, reboot and go to Windows Disk Management then initialize the disk as GPT convert to basic disk if not already, go back into the DPM console and run a rescan, add the disk back in and let DPM convert it to Dynamic.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 7:43 AM
  • Hello Penney,

Are you still having issues with the disks?

Thanks

Shane

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:20 PM
  • Here's what I end up with when I try to add a disk:

Then, after I click "OK", I get:

As you can see, it says that I have 3 disks available instead of the 4 that are actually there and the error is what I get when I select one or more disks and click OK.

All of these disks are new and wiped.  They had been configured as a RAID 5 array but I couldn't get DPM to recognize the array at all so I deleted it and I am now trying to add the individual disks.  They are all recognized by Windows fine.

Bert

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:19 PM
  • The disks from Window's perspective:

As you can see, I converted disk 1 to dynamic but DPM still says that it is a basic disk and it is going to convert it to dynamic.

Bert

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:21 PM
  • Here's what I end up with when I try to add a disk:

Then, after I click "OK", I get:

As you can see, it says that I have 3 disks available instead of the 4 that are actually there and the error is what I get when I select one or more disks and click OK.

All of these disks are new and wiped.  They had been configured as a RAID 5 array but I couldn't get DPM to recognize the array at all so I deleted it and I am now trying to add the individual disks.  They are all recognized by Windows fine.

Bert

Hi Penney,

Have you checked event viewer for more info on the virtual disk service error?

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:22 PM
  • Yes, but I don't see any errors.  The service is running (it's just the service "Virtual Disk", correct?).

Bert

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:31 PM
  • Hello,

One cause can be by the sector sizes of the disks in the storage pool being different.  What is the sector size for each disk that you are trying to use? Go to MSInfo32 and expand Components > Storage > Disks and review the Bytes/Sector sizes of each disk in the DPM storage pool.

Thanks
    Shane

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:39 PM
  • They are 512 byte sectors.  I already had a go oaround with larger sectors and DPM.  The RAID controller on this machine presented the disk as 2K sectors so DPM wouldn't use it.

Bert

• Unmarked as answer by Bert Penney Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:25 PM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:45 PM
  • Hello,

Can you open up registry editor and check the following:

HKLM\software\microsoft\microsoft data protection manager\setup

String: DatabasePath <------Is value for this path correct?

Thanks
    Shane

Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:12 PM
  • Thanks, Shane, that did it.  I had moved the database files when I deleted the RAID array.  It didn't dawn on me that dpm would keep a pointer to the files (why does it do that, anyway???).  I changed the registry entry, restarted DPM and not only do all 4 disks show up, I was able to add a disk to DPM.

Bert

Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:25 PM
  • Hello,

Most excellent. I'm glad that things are working for you now.

Shane

Thursday, October 27, 2011 5:06 PM
  • Just for information.

Had the exact same problem with DPM2012 SP1. Server had some changes and one of them was DMP databases being moved. Afterwards, the cryptic "file not foud" error appeared when i clicked "rescan disks". Correcting the DatabasePath value corrected the issue.

Monday, June 10, 2013 7:17 AM