General Questions regarding MSI packages RRS feed

• Question

• So I have 3 MSI packages.

1) Adobe Acrobat w/ MSI
    2) Office 2003 Pro w/ MSI
    3) Pivotal CRM w/ MSI

I am able to publish all of these items for deployment; however, upon initializing them from the client I get a failure message.

Can someone explain the process to me?  Perhaps I am missing something.
    Monday, October 15, 2007 6:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Chris,

This issue may occur if the software packages are not correctly configured on the server or the related GPOs are not successfully applied to your clients.

First, let us check some information about the software deployment:

1.    Software deployed through “Create and deploy a new software package wizard”, please confirm you have complete it without any error.

2.    please check the status of your software package in software pane, it should has been approved for the target computers.

3.    Please confirm the software  package with the directory name being <package name>.<packageID> can  be found under “SCE\UpdateServicesPackages” fold(which is shared).

Also ,when we finish the software deployment we need to  Approve the Installation for your target computers.  Within 24 hours, the package will be deployed to target computers.  If you want to expedite the process of deployment, we can take below steps:

1.    Navigate to Computer pane, select the target computer.

2.    Click “Detect Software and Updates Now”.

This kind of issue may occur that the software  package has been downloaded to the target computer, (it can been found under path: C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download) but failed to install. Please confirm the clients and SCE server are always online when the installation is in progress, or no other action intermit the installation progress.

At the same time, please confirm this software does not conflict to the other software on the target computer, or it has not been installed on the target computer in advance.

After finishing the above steps, can you see these software to be installed under the Add/Remove panel on the client computer now? 

If the issue persists, please let me know the detailed symptoms and send some screenshots to me where you can see errors from clients and the windowsupdate.log which is under %windir% from the problematical client computer to
    SCEDATA@microsoft.com.

Note: Please include the following three lines in the email body:

Post Title: General Questions regarding MSI packages
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?postid=2272509&siteid=17
    Robbin Meng – MSFT

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 7:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

This issue may occur if the software packages are not correctly configured on the server or the related GPOs are not successfully applied to your clients.

First, let us check some information about the software deployment:

1.    Software deployed through “Create and deploy a new software package wizard”, please confirm you have complete it without any error.

2.    please check the status of your software package in software pane, it should has been approved for the target computers.

3.    Please confirm the software  package with the directory name being <package name>.<packageID> can  be found under “SCE\UpdateServicesPackages” fold(which is shared).

Also ,when we finish the software deployment we need to  Approve the Installation for your target computers.  Within 24 hours, the package will be deployed to target computers.  If you want to expedite the process of deployment, we can take below steps:

1.    Navigate to Computer pane, select the target computer.

2.    Click “Detect Software and Updates Now”.

This kind of issue may occur that the software  package has been downloaded to the target computer, (it can been found under path: C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download) but failed to install. Please confirm the clients and SCE server are always online when the installation is in progress, or no other action intermit the installation progress.

At the same time, please confirm this software does not conflict to the other software on the target computer, or it has not been installed on the target computer in advance.

After finishing the above steps, can you see these software to be installed under the Add/Remove panel on the client computer now? 

If the issue persists, please let me know the detailed symptoms and send some screenshots to me where you can see errors from clients and the windowsupdate.log which is under %windir% from the problematical client computer to
    SCEDATA@microsoft.com.

Note: Please include the following three lines in the email body:

Post Title: General Questions regarding MSI packages
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?postid=2272509&siteid=17
    Robbin Meng – MSFT

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 7:54 AM

• Robbin,

Server Side:
    Wizard created packages successfully with no errors.
    Packages display correctly in 'All Software Packages' pane.
    Packages also appear in the folder but with a differing naming convention.  (All '.' are changed to '_')
    (Specifically: Pivotal Lifecycle Engine Windows Access r3_0_6a24dcee-80cf-45d3-a451-eb9a673b4316)

Client Side:
    Numerous packages can be seen on the client \Download\ directory.
    Packages do appear appropriately in the Add new Program pane of Add Remove Program.

Screenshots were sent: titled Screenshots Re: General Questions regarding MSI packages
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:01 AM
  •  

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply and the screenshots. From your email, I understand the installation software packages have been successfully deployed on the SCE server and also been pushed on the client computer at “Add new Programs” pane of Add/Remove Program. Therefore, I would like to confirm with you that:

1.    Can you install other software packages from your local disk that are not deployed from the SCE server? So that we can make sure local Windows Installer is all right.

2.    Besides these software, can you install Windows Update that published from the SCE server normally now?

At the same time, I noticed that you have submitted another similar issue on our forum and my workmate Xiu Zhang is working on this issue with you.

Software Package... failed!

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?postid=2269812&siteid=17   

However, if the failure installation issue only related to these software that deployed from the SCE server, I suggest you check the client certificates. As for this, please follow Xiu Zhang’s instructions to troubleshoot it. If possible, please collect the Setupapi.log to us again to SCEDATA@microsoft.com if installation fails.

Setupapi.log

------------

1. Click on Start

2. Click on Run

3. Type "setupapi.log" (Without quotations)

4. Click on OK

5. Click on File tab on the menu bar, Save As and save the file to the Desktop

6. Please send the saved file on the desktop to SCEDATA@microsoft.com.

Thanks.

Friday, October 19, 2007 9:28 AM

• Robbin,

With this thread I was more focusing on the process of creating and customizing the software package.  I think because I was dealing with the other problem, I leaked both threads together.  My purpose in this thread was to expand upon the SCE wizard for software package creation instruction.

For Example:
    Given that we have the MSI package, how can I customize the installation process?  If the MSI is for Office and I only want my users to use Word, I would normally create an MST file and use the Transforms flag.  SCE only gives me Installation Parameters and Removal Parameters.  Can I customize the MSI beyond the Quiet Install (/qn) inside SCE or do I have to use Orca or some other method of customizing the MSI to add parameters before I create the package?
    Saturday, October 20, 2007 5:11 AM
  • Hi Chris,

From your another thread "Software Package... failed!" which is the same as our original problem, I am glad to know the software package installation issue has been resolved.

Regarding the further question about how to customize the installation process, actually, Xiu Zhang's reply is correct and sufficient:

"During the software package creation, step-Specify Installation Parameters, It will ask you to afford parameter to silent/unattended installation if the package requires parameter.

So I suggest you to contact the Adobe support to ensure whether it need parameters when it install silently or unattended.(example: the parameter maybe like "/sn+serial number")."

Therefore, you many need to contact the software provider for detailed information about setup parameters as well as silently or unattended install.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Robbin Meng

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 2:19 AM