Windows 7 Administrator Authorization Dialog Box Is Hidden RRS feed

• Question

• When you take an action in Windows 7 that requires local administrator rights you are prompted with a dialog box. In some cases this doesn't happen.   It does seem to happen more with Excel (2010)  than any other app, in my experience.  I have always been able to find the dialogue box in the cases I’ve seen, but they aren’t all exactly the same.  Successive Alt-Tab usually seems to find the dialogue box. 

Is there any way to fix this s they'er always on top?

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Are these windows which you would like to set as always on top for UAC feature? Which option do you select for the UAC settings?

If you choose the “Always notify” or “Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer” option, the desktop will be dimmed.

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum.

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, May 13, 2011 2:29 AM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 3:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you enable the User Account Control feature?

You may refer to the following links for the User Account Control information:

What is User Account Control?

What are User Account Control settings?

Also, please check if the Excel files are restricted permission with the Information Rights Management? If this is the case, please understand that this is Windows 7 Forum while this issue is more related to Microsoft Office. In order to get the answer effectively, it is recommended to post a new thread in Microsoft Office Forum for further discussion.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:09 AM
  • Hi,

How are you? I would appreciate it if you could drop me a note to let me know the status of the issue. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of further assistance. :)

Regards,

Sabrina

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 2:51 AM
  • Sabrina - Thanks for the concern :)

While is did reduce how often we see the dialog box, it doesn't bring it to the front of the screen. So this solution is more of a workaround, but a good one at that.

What I really would like to see is how to set focus to those windows whenever displayed. Notice task manager ALWAYS is on top no matter what. I would like to see that same situation with this box.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 2:08 PM
  • Hi,

Are these windows which you would like to set as always on top for UAC feature? Which option do you select for the UAC settings?

If you choose the “Always notify” or “Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer” option, the desktop will be dimmed.

Regards,

Sabrina

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, May 13, 2011 2:29 AM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 3:20 AM
  • Hi, 

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of further assistance. :) 

Regards, 

Sabrina

Monday, May 9, 2011 2:35 AM