Windows 10 "defer upgrades" and "check online" behavior RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

What happens when a user on a machine (Win10 enterprise) normally managed by WSUS uses the "check online" function?
    If "defer upgrades" is not configured should it then find and install version 1511 when this is not approved on the WSUS server?

Friday, January 1, 2016 10:56 PM

Answers

• According to Microsoft "Defer upgrades in Windows 10" means -

"Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available."

So if "Defer" option is not checked or configured then the user needs to wait for Windows Update to download the latest build.

ISO for Enterprise edition is also available from the Volume Licensing Center.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Saturday, January 9, 2016 2:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, February 8, 2016 12:09 PM
    Friday, January 1, 2016 11:19 PM

All replies

• According to Microsoft "Defer upgrades in Windows 10" means -

"Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available."

So if "Defer" option is not checked or configured then the user needs to wait for Windows Update to download the latest build.

ISO for Enterprise edition is also available from the Volume Licensing Center.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Saturday, January 9, 2016 2:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, February 8, 2016 12:09 PM
    Friday, January 1, 2016 11:19 PM
  • Ok, but if defered upgrades is not configured on my workstations, and 1511 is NOT approved on my WSUS server, users still will be able to find the 1511 upgrade if they perform a "check online"?
    Friday, January 1, 2016 11:46 PM
  • Hi,

>>Ok, but if defered upgrades is not configured on my workstations, and 1511 is NOT approved on my WSUS server, users still will be able to find the 1511 upgrade if they perform a "check online"?

As far as I know, the 1511 upgrade is only available when we sign in the Get Inside Preview on Windows 10.

Besides, from my point of view, this is a client behaviour, maybe the experts from Windows 10 IT Pro forum will give you a more accurate answer.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, January 9, 2016 2:20 PM