none
upgrade from win server 2012 to win server 2012 r2 RRS feed

• Question

• been asked if we can upgrade window server 2012 Standard to windows server 2012 r2 and from what I have seen we can upgrade however....... if the server is a domain controller it can't be.

I was not the one who set up the server at this company.  I am not sure why, I would never set up a company with just ONE server to act as Domain controller, file server, data server etc....

If they do decide to upgrade the server to Windows 2012 r2, (probably know this answer to this question, hopefully I am wrong) Can we do the upgrade if we only have one server that does everything and not cause grief to the end users in the process... (my guess is NO)?    If it can be done, how?

thanks

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 10:49 PM

Answers

• Hi

If they do decide to upgrade the server to Windows 2012 r2, (probably know this answer to this question, hopefully I am wrong) Can we do the upgrade if we only have one server that does everything and not cause grief to the end users in the process... (my guess is NO)?    If it can be done, how? >>> If you mean inplace upgrade,yes you can,also is it recommended?not..

Check the article and follow the steps for inplace upgrade of DC,

http://rietveld-ict.nl/upgrading-windows-server-2012-domain-controller/

But strongly recommend you that,migrate from server 2012 to server 2012 r2.(Clean installation)

company with just ONE server to act as Domain controller, file server, data server etc....>>> Also recommend that configure AD DS on standalone server,and migrate file server,etc other server.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 11:23 PM
  • "if the server is a domain controller it can't be."

You were most likely reading articles about upgrading the EVALUATION copy of Windows.  If the evaluation copy of Windows is running as a domain controller, it can't be upgraded.  However, there is no such limitation on properly licensed and activated copies.

Burak has provided a link to blog post that may help you.  Pretty straightforward.

However, it is Microsoft's recommendation (not a requirement) to always perform a clean installation of domain controllers.  It always makes sense to clean things up whenever possible.

It is quite common for small companies to have a single server that runs both AD DS and file services.  However, with virtualization available, it is possible to create a host running Hyper-V and then have two VMs with one running as a DC and the other running as a file server.  Costs the same from a licensing standpoint.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 4:15 PM

All replies

• Hi

If they do decide to upgrade the server to Windows 2012 r2, (probably know this answer to this question, hopefully I am wrong) Can we do the upgrade if we only have one server that does everything and not cause grief to the end users in the process... (my guess is NO)?    If it can be done, how? >>> If you mean inplace upgrade,yes you can,also is it recommended?not..

Check the article and follow the steps for inplace upgrade of DC,

http://rietveld-ict.nl/upgrading-windows-server-2012-domain-controller/

But strongly recommend you that,migrate from server 2012 to server 2012 r2.(Clean installation)

company with just ONE server to act as Domain controller, file server, data server etc....>>> Also recommend that configure AD DS on standalone server,and migrate file server,etc other server.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 11:23 PM
  • "if the server is a domain controller it can't be."

You were most likely reading articles about upgrading the EVALUATION copy of Windows.  If the evaluation copy of Windows is running as a domain controller, it can't be upgraded.  However, there is no such limitation on properly licensed and activated copies.

Burak has provided a link to blog post that may help you.  Pretty straightforward.

However, it is Microsoft's recommendation (not a requirement) to always perform a clean installation of domain controllers.  It always makes sense to clean things up whenever possible.

It is quite common for small companies to have a single server that runs both AD DS and file services.  However, with virtualization available, it is possible to create a host running Hyper-V and then have two VMs with one running as a DC and the other running as a file server.  Costs the same from a licensing standpoint.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 4:15 PM
  • Thank you Burak and Tim for your responses.  

I have reviewed the article Burak recommended.  I would prefer to do a clean install as well however money is a factor and this server is only a year old.    I will let the powers to be make the next decision.

thanks again

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 4:40 PM