Media Services with Custom Media Foundation Codec RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

Does anybody know whether it's possible to stream a video with a custom (self-written) codec in a ASF container? The only information that I found about format support says that ASF would be possible.

I'm using Windows Server 2008 and the codec is written in Media Foundation . Does Windows Server even support Media Foundation?

Hope I mentioned all important facts.
    Any responses will be appreciated, thank you.

Regards,
    Stefan

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:04 AM

Answers

• WMS is codec agnostic.  More than likely what is happening is something is set incorrectly in the header of the ASF.  I'd suggest using ASF Viewer 9 Series to compare your video with a WM Video encoded file. 

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:16 PM

All replies

• Dear all

Allow me to push this again...
    In the meantime, my Server version is 2008 R2. I can successfully stream my own ASF files over Media Services as long as the video codec is WMV or Uncompressed. I created those files with my own ASF Writer in Media Foundation.

The problem occurs as soon as I use my own video codec in the ASF. Media Player on the client side tells me it doesn't find the codec - But only if I stream over Media Services!

When I play the self-encoded ASF locally, everything works like a charm!

Has nobody ever had a similar problem? To me, it looks like the only difference between a working and a non-working ASF is the used codec - can this actually be a problem for Media Services?

All replies are appreciated. Thank you.
    Regards

Monday, November 22, 2010 12:08 PM
  • WMS is codec agnostic.  More than likely what is happening is something is set incorrectly in the header of the ASF.  I'd suggest using ASF Viewer 9 Series to compare your video with a WM Video encoded file. 

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:16 PM