New Installation: Wsus on a 2012 R2 Std Server RRS feed

• Question

• Usual story all seemed to be well until ......

Created Server
    Added and Configured WSUS Role
    Pointed clients to new Wsus server

Selected a load of Windows 10 downloads for the WSUS server to distribute

Wsus server downloaded around 200GB worth of updates (to cover all windows 10 versions)

And ....wait for it .......

On the very last update it has downloaded it has downloaded all 2.8 Gb of it and appears to be stuck ?

I've left it an hour and no progress, still stuck ?

I then looked in event viewer and I get
    "The server is failing to download some updates."

and

"Content file download failed. Reason: CRC verification failure. Source File: /c/upgr/2016/05/10586.0.160426-1409.th2_refresh_clienteducation_vol_x64fre_en-gb_c4f7837e4028339a2c8be01dbf03c34a0886359f.esd Destination File: E:\Wsus_Updates\WsusContent\9F\C4F7837E4028339A2C8BE01DBF03C34A0886359F.esd"

Any ideas, all the other updates have apparently been fine ?

(Plenty of available diskspace)

• Edited by aideyuk Thursday, September 14, 2017 1:48 PM
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 1:46 PM

All replies

• Have patience. Let it come through on it's own time. WSUS needs patience, and most people (myself included) don't want to wait for it. If it hasn't come through in 5 days (yes, 5 days because more than likely it will complete beforehand), then maybe a restart of the server might be in order.

I assume KB3159706 is already installed and the post-install steps were done? (If not, install it, perform the post-install steps listed in the KB article, and then use my script to fix your database  - .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -DirtyDatabaseCheck - If it's clean it will report clean, but if it's dirty, it will fix it for you automatically.)

After everything is downloaded, setup my maintenance script to optimize your WSUS (a new install does not mean it's optimized) and keep your WSUS working at peak performance.

Have a peek at my Adamj Clean-WSUS script. It is the last WSUS Script you will ever need!

http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-adamj-clean-wsus

What it does:

1. Add WSUS Index Optimization to the database to increase the speed of many database operations in WSUS by approximately 1000-1500 times faster.
    2. Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database (Default; Optional).
    3. Shrink your WSUSContent folder's size by declining multiple types of updates including by default any superseded updates, preview updates, expired updates, Itanium updates, and beta updates. Optional extras: Language Packs, IE7, IE8, IE9, IE10, Embedded, NonEnglishUpdates, ComputerUpdates32bit, WinXP.
    4. Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database.
    5. Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
    6. Compress Update Revisions.
    7. Remove Obsolete Updates.
    8. Computer Object Cleanup (configurable, with the default of deleting computer objects that have not synced within 30 days).
    9. Application Pool Memory Configuration to display the current private memory limit and easily set it to any configurable amount including 0 for unlimited. This is a manual execution only.
    10. Checks to see if you have a dirty database, and if you do, fixes it. This is primarily for Server 2012 WSUS, and is a manual execution only.
    11. Run the Recommended SQL database Maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
    12. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

It will email the report out to you or save it to a file, or both.

Although the script is lengthy, it has been made to be super easy to setup and use so don't over think it. There are some prerequisites and instructions at the top of the script. After installing the prerequisites and configuring the variables for your environment (email settings only if you are accepting all the defaults), simply run:

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun

If you wish to view or increase the Application Pool Memory Configuration, or run the Dirty Database Check, you must run it with the required switch. See Get-Help .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -Examples

If you're having trouble, there's also a -HelpMe option that will create a log so you can send it to me for support.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

Thursday, September 14, 2017 4:46 PM
  • Hello,

To fix this issue, you need to find out the update, which is downloaded incomplete. Then you can mark the update Not Approved or Decline.

To find out the update, you need to open WSUS console, go to the All Updates node. Just filter out the approved updates, and right click on the column header bar and enable the "File Status" column.

Look at the updates with file status as "Pending Download", and check C4F7837E4028339A2C8BE01DBF03C34A0886359F.esd from the File Information for the updates.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 15, 2017 8:44 AM