none
MS SQL server horizontal scale out.

Question

• hi, I am looking for a horizontal DB scale out solution so that we don't need to use SQL server replication anymore as it is slow. how can Azure DB service help us ?

While the target is everyone only update their information on the SQL server in their own zone, e.g. in europe, asia and united state, later on near real time, all record merge back to ALL SQL server in our cloud.

we want to see if this solution can help us to get ride of SQL server replication problem across a long long distinance.

Sth like Amazon RDS is offering/

any possible way using Azure for that?

Marrow Yung

Monday, March 20, 2017 10:10 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please refer to the following documentation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-elastic-scale-introduction#horizontal-and-vertical-scaling

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, March 20, 2017 11:39 AM
  • I don't think that elastic pools or scaling up/out answer OP's question.

OP seems to want a replication scheme with complex topology, and that has never (AFAIK) been easily supported on Microsoft platforms.  What Microsoft has ever encouraged is everyone updating a central database *first*, which might then do selective replication (or log shipping, etc) down to regional servers.

I am not aware of just what features Azure may currently offer in that direction.

Josh

Monday, March 20, 2017 6:16 PM
  • so Sharding is the way to replace replication in a easier way and robust way ?

DBA100

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:19 AM
  • it is the same link as above I think and Azure SQL server has it ?

no other product we have to buy ?

DBA100

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:20 AM
  • Hello,

Please let me share this thread and see if we can obtain more suggestions for your scenario.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:59 AM
  • Hi Marrow

Josh is obviously correct. I didn't mean to imply that elastic jobs provide the equivalent capabilities to the one you are describing - but that they provide an alternative approach to scaling out

hth
    Marcin

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 11:35 AM
  • Hi Marrow,

Could you please share more details about why replication is too slow in this scenario? Azure SQL Data Sync is another option here to replace replication when you are hosting databases in Azure SQL Database (PaaS). But it won't be faster then replication. You can find more information about Data Sync here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-get-started-sql-data-sync

I'm also wondering what is the Amazon RDS offering you mentioned. As I know, RDS only offer adding read-only replicas to scale out horizontally. If that's what you are looking for, you can also add active geo-replication in Azure SQL Database. See the following document for more details:

Overview: SQL Database Active Geo-Replication

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 3:57 PM
  • hi,

" I'm also wondering what is the Amazon RDS offering you mentioned."

RDS is horizontal scale out, once you made a change it replicate across the world for you.

"As I know, RDS only offer adding read-only replicas to scale out horizontally."

no. mulit master.

DBA100

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 10:15 AM