File History for disaster recovery RRS feed

• Question

• It is clear how to use File History to restore files/folders that have been corrupted/lost/accidentally modified etc.

However, what is not clear to me is how to use File History to restore backed up files to a new computer or a fresh install of Windows after a theft or hard drive failure.

This blog post refers to "Connect your old File History", without actually providing any further details

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/07/10/protecting-user-files-with-file-history.aspx

Could anyone provide a step-by-step run through of the process of recovering File History backups to new hardware, or point to a good run through on the web?

I would like to know the process before I have to use it.

Monday, May 6, 2013 10:09 AM

Answers

• File History cannot be restored on a new fresh system. If you reinstalled the system, you must restore to orignal system image, bring back all settings, then use File History.

From the blog, I noticed the following steps.

1. Use the recovery drive to restore the operating system

2. Connect to your Microsoft account

3. Configure your PC to sync your settings – this will bring your settings back

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:31 AM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 7:05 AM

All replies

• File History cannot be restored on a new fresh system. If you reinstalled the system, you must restore to orignal system image, bring back all settings, then use File History.

Niki Han

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:31 AM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 7:05 AM
  • "...you must restore to orignal system image, bring back all settings, then use File History."

Do you know if this also works with a system image created by the user?

I had to restore to a system image I created 2 months ago and was unable to restore my most recent files using File History--even though the files are visible through File Explorer. File History seems to believe that my most recent files are from 2 months ago--the day I made the system image--instead of 2 days ago.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:49 AM

Niki Han

In that case, File History seems inadequate as a file backup solution.

Will have to use 3rd party software instead.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:02 AM