How to activate Windows 10 client based on windows 2012 Server Standard Version (non R2 version) KMS server? RRS feed

• Question

• My KMS was based on windows 2012 Srv Standard Version (non R2), I want to know how to activate Windows 10 pro clients, what patches should be installed in?

谢谢!

Thank you

注意:KMS主机不是R2版本!官网上关于R2版本的相关指南不适用。

Note: KMS host is not R2 version! Official guidelines on website about the R2 version dose not apply.

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn502537.aspx 页面表格中显示2012版本KMS是可以打升级补丁后激活win10的,但表格底部的页面support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3172614/july-2016-update-rollup-for-windows-8.1-and-windows-server-2012-r2中的补丁不适用于非R2版本。

The table displayed on "technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn502537.aspx" show that the KMS based on win2012 can activated  win10 after install some patches, but at the bottom of the the table of "support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3172614/ july-2016-update-rollup-for-windows-8.1-and-windows-server-2012-r2" ,the patch is not suitable for the non R2 version.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 4:40 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

See this blog, since you are running Windows Server 2012 you need a different update package.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2016/10/19/windows-server-2016-volume-activation-tips/

it should be July 2016 update rollup for Windows Server 2012

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 11:37 PM
  • Hi sh._,

You may try to ask for help from our Server forum at the same time.
    Server Forum
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winservergen

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 31, 2017 2:46 AM
  • Thanks for your guide while I have the patch KB3172615 installed before and see nothing diffrent. When I imput "slmgr.vbs -ipk XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX(my win 10 pro's KMS key)" in CMD of win2012 server(my KMS server) I received the same info "Error:0xC004F050 The software license service reports that the product key is invalid"
    • Edited by sh._ Friday, March 31, 2017 6:17 AM
    Friday, March 31, 2017 6:16 AM
  • Hi sh._,

Have you restarted the machine after installing the update?

"When I imput "slmgr.vbs -ipk XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX(my win 10 pro's KMS key)" in CMD of win2012 server(my KMS server) I received the same info "Error:0xC004F050 The software license service reports that the product key is invalid""
    It seems that you have used the wrong key.
    Go to VLS site, under licenses for your agreement and grab this key:  Windows Srv 2012 DataCtr/Std KMS for Windows 10.
    Windows 10 KMS Requirements
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/98cc5300-60d6-48b0-b63e-39be7e0ef5fb/how-to-activate-windows-10-client-based-on-windows-2012-server-standard-version-non-r2-version-kms?forum=win10itprogeneral

Best regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 3, 2017 7:00 AM
  • Hello,

You cannot install a Windows Client KMS key on a Windows server machine.  You need to install the appropriate server key according to the blog.  Only Windows Server keys can be installed on Server installations

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, April 3, 2017 3:50 PM
  • I need to activate win 10 pro clients so I tried the KMS key for win 10 pro. If I need to use a win 2012 server's KMS key,then I don't know which is the RIGHT key because I have installed the win2012 server's KMS key before but it can't work for win 10 pro clients!
    • Edited by sh._ Tuesday, April 4, 2017 1:20 AM
    Tuesday, April 4, 2017 1:19 AM
  • I'll try to find out if there is another key can work. 3q!
    Tuesday, April 4, 2017 1:33 AM
  • Hello

Windows Servers only accept Windows Server keys.

Windows Client KMS key can only be installed on Windows Client to make them a KMS host.

Since the keys work downlevel, the Windows Server keys will active Windows Client machines.
    So you need to go to the VLSC site to find the appropriate keys.

Windows Server 2016 KMS keys would work.

also see this blog which points to this key if you do not have Windows Server 2016 keys on the VLSC site

Windows Server 2012 R2 for Windows 10 CSVLK

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2015/09/15/windows-10-volume-activation-tips/

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 6:57 PM
  • I have installed the KMS key for 2012 server without error message finally !

But when I try to active win 10 enterprise client I receive a new error message "0xC004F042". I checked the communication between the client and the KMS server is ok. (use "ping <KMS's ip>" and "telnet <KMS's ip>:port" form the client machine) And from the sys log of 2012 Srv, I can found there were some Kms Requests log from the client had the same error messages.( It should be "0x0" if the activation is ok.)

Should  I change another key of the client and try again?

Thursday, April 6, 2017 2:49 AM
  • Hello,

Are you using this key which is what is referenced in the blog. 

Windows Server 2012 R2 for Windows 10 CSVLK

It has to be Windows Server 2012 Key for Windows 10 or the Windows Server 2016 key.

Thursday, April 6, 2017 4:37 PM
  • Hi sh.,

Have you checked my reply?

We should get the Windows Srv 2012 DataCtr/Std KMS for Windows 10 product key from the Volume license center and Darrell Gorter pointed out again.

Best regards

Friday, April 7, 2017 6:49 AM